Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New Urbanism neighborhoods in California cities

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008

New Urbanism neighborhoods in California cities

Where are some examples of new urbanism in California? I only know that the college towns have it and major cities:

Berkeley
    Santa Cruz
    San Luis Obispo
    Davis
    Chico
    Palo Alto
    Santa Barbara
    Santa Cruz
    Arcata

San Jose
    San Diego
    San Francisco
    Los Angeles
    Oakland
    Long Beach
    Sacramento

And an interesting article about San Francisco having lost more jobs than LA:

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker...ed-536032.html

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I would suggest contacting a local APA chapter or see if the state has a builder's group in Sacramento.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2009
    A friend of mine lives in a new urbanist community in Rancho Cordova, just outside Sacramento.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    A friend of mine lives in a new urbanist community in Rancho Cordova, just outside Sacramento.
    !

I used to live in RC. My, how things change. Did they stop the Aerojet plume to be able to build it?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    !

I used to live in RC. My, how things change. Did they stop the Aerojet plume to be able to build it?

I think they avoided it, however GenCorp (aerojet's parent company) was one of the main players behind it. Go figure. The South Folsom Specific Plan/Annexation area (another new urbanist attempt, to be screwed up my A. Tsakopoulos and GenCorp) was suppose to model it in some way shape or form, but the group of land owners there was like herding cats. The name of the project was Glenbrough/Easton Place. The RCH group headed the land planning efforts.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    to be screwed up my A. Tsakopoulos and GenCorp) was suppose to model it in some way shape or form, but the group of land owners there was like herding cats. The name of the project was Glenbrough/Easton Place. The RCH group headed the land planning efforts.
    I have been away for a while. A member of the Greek Club building something NU?!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    A member of the Greek Club building something NU?!
    I think the muni forced old uncle penny banks to build it that way... but hey it is just my opinion not supported by fact.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    My recent experience in California is that most communities with any type of urban development constructed in the last ten years has some elements of TND in them. Its hard to do anything small lot or attached that isn't alley loaded and most of the recent urban development in California, at least Southern, is small loaded or attached. Most of the cities now heavily promote walkable communities, mixed use, transit oriented development and complete streets (the buzz words just flow from the finger tips). My guess is that the only things that haven't been developed as some form of TND in the past 15 years in California would be high end hillside communities.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:41 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Jul 2012, 9:46 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 02 Mar 2012, 10:54 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 24 Nov 2008, 3:26 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Nov 2004, 9:16 PM