Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Environmental planning books and/or links?

Registered
    Feb 2011

Environmental planning books and/or links?

Hi, can anyone give me more info on environmental planning or maybe a link or a book title? I'm finding it hard to find any good info on the specialization.
    Thanks

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Peruse the American Planning Association web site at planning.org. They would love to sell you a book or two.

The National Association of Environmental Professionals is a good professional group in this area: http://www.naep.org/

If you want to check out recent environmental impact statements/environmental assessments (work done by environmental professionals), head over to the NEPA Library: http://www.cubitplanning.com/library

If you've got specific questions about NEPA work, let me know.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Despite being a planning specialization, environmental planning is a relatively broad field.

Some of the work that environmental planners do includes examining environmental impacts that can be (reasonably) anticipated from proposed projects (this is frequently done as NEPA work, or state/local equivalent), developing natural resource management plans, park planning, and sustainability planning at the master plan, long-range plan, and development plan levels, among others.

At its most elementary level, I understand environmental planning to be a comprehensive way to examine a problem and at best seek to develop "sustainable" solutions for the natural and man-made environments or at least seek to reduce negative impacts. The "problem" can be anything from a single development project to long-term goals for a municipality, etc. How you define "problem" and "sustainable" are relative however.

Here is an overview of environmental planning for small communities published by the EPA if you are looking for some basic concepts to peruse.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    thanks for the help.

I find Environmental planning interesting but the jobs just don't really seem to be there at the moment. So I'm kind of torn.

So impressed!

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Despite being a planning specialization, environmental planning is a relatively broad field.
    I've got to agree its the same over here in the UK, though there seem to be plenty of Jobs going around the UK thanks to new-ish laws making ecological surveys manditory for certain projects.

My friends company often publishes decent UK environmental planning news and jobs if that's any help?

Fancy moving to the UK?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    A classic - Ian McHarg's Design with Nature

any of Frederick R. Steiner's books.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by psfraga View post
    thanks for the help.

I find Environmental planning interesting but the jobs just don't really seem to be there at the moment. So I'm kind of torn.

At least in California, environmental planning has the most jobs available compared to other specializations in the profession, even during this downturn. That's not to say the job picture is rosy.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Feb 2012

Environmental interpretation - the other kind of environmental planning.

As an interpretive planner and former biosphere reserve manager, I have worked with NEPA processes and public hearings. However, there's an entire field of environmental planning that is based on interpretation of natural and cultural heritage. Sam Ham's (1992) book Environmental Interpretation is out of print but available through Amazon in used condition. He will soon have a new version of the book out. Interpretive Planning by Lisa Brochu is an excellent planning book on planning to protect the natural and cultural heritage of an area. Put the HEART Back in Your Community is a new book also based on interpretive planning at the community level. I am a co-author with Lisa Brochu.

Interpretive planning is based on a communications approach to coordinating built environments with the natural environment around a central theme that ties to the place-based meanings of communities, natural areas, world heritage sites, etc.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 22 Jul 2010, 5:43 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 17 Jun 2010, 12:46 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Mar 2009, 3:04 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Apr 2005, 6:35 PM
  5. Replies: 24
    Last post: 25 Apr 2005, 6:31 PM