Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Historic district re-evaluation/re-classification

Registered
    Jul 2007

Historic district re-evaluation/re-classification

We are in the midst of a fight with our State Historic Preservation Office. I would like to look at about 20 noncontributing structures in our current National Register Historic District for a potential change in status to contributing. Many of these structures were initially surveyed over 15 years ago and listed as noncontributing due to age (under 50 years old). I have personally never agreed that 50 years is a rule, I think of it more as a guideline, but that is not what our SHPO generally thinks. What I need are some professional resources to help with changing the status of these structures to become contributing structures

We have hired a firm to help us with this, but I would like to bring some great resources to the table. Many of them are over 50 years old now and would qualify based on the "rule" but our SHPO is giving us a hard time over it because basically they don't want to let us 'expand' our district due to the non-traditional way we manage our district. The non-traditional way we manage our district has won state preservation awards, so we do not plan on changing that anytime soon. I have been on the NR Publications website, and can't seem to find what I am looking for, but maybe I am missing something?
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Are you an NAPC member? If so, I'd recommend sending this out on their listserv as lots of knowledgeable folks working in HP monitor and contribute to it.

I assume your HPC has documentation to back up their assertion that these structures need to be redesignated as contributing - i.e a more recent intensive-level historic resources survey? I wish I could offer more help but our SHPO has always proved a valuable ally and I've never had to take them on as it looks like you'll be doing.

BTW, what is the non-traditional way you manage the district?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    Are you an NAPC member? If so, I'd recommend sending this out on their listserv as lots of knowledgeable folks working in HP monitor and contribute to it.

I assume your HPC has documentation to back up their assertion that these structures need to be redesignated as contributing - i.e a more recent intensive-level historic resources survey? I wish I could offer more help but our SHPO has always proved a valuable ally and I've never had to take them on as it looks like you'll be doing.

BTW, what is the non-traditional way you manage the district?
    Maybe I should have expanded on this earlier, but the non-traditional way we manage our district is we do not have a Local HP Commission, we are under the CLG of the county and their commission. We have a zoning overlay district and design guidelines that are staff enforced with the assistance of a consultant. We also have a demolition dissencentive ordinance that says if any contributing structure within the boundaries of the NR Historic District is demolished (with the exception of SFR to SFR) they must wait 48 months to turn in development applications. COAs are only issued by the county commission for the county landmarks within our HD. The SHPO has never been a fan of our unorthodox ways, but it works for us and again has been a model for other communities in the state.

In addition to our ordinance I would like these properties to be eligible for tax credits if they so desired for renovation and to protect them.

I'd rather not take on the SHPO, but they leave us little choice.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Historic district enforcement
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Apr 2007, 12:36 PM
  2. Preservation Historic district Regulations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 May 2006, 11:04 AM
  3. Historic district stormwater management