+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mustard

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    You rang?

Classic.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

From a jar that requires a knife or a squeeze bottle ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Mustard is the condiment of choice in the biscuit household. The refrigerator is stocked with honey mustard, horseradish mustard, white pepper mustard, spicy brown, varieties of dijion... Except for the yellow mustard. That new French's commercial that has people putting yellow mustard in all of their recipes is kind of nasty.

For true mustard lovers I'd suggest making a pilgrimage toYves Tierenteyn-Verlent, a shop in Ghent, Belgium. The only product they sell is a single variety of mustard that they make in-house, and it is ridiculously good.

Now if you'll excuse me it's time to go lurk in the Foodies thread and tell myself that I'm not one of those people.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Just gotta put in a plug for Mucky Duck Mustard. It's tough to find (made in Michigan) but if you see it snap it up. MD Mustard is not one of the hoity toity 'tasting' mustards one occasionally encounters in connection with wine and cheese parties. It's more of a 'spread it thick on your burger or sandwich' style eating mustard. Earthy and sweet.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have been rocking the Chunky Honey Dijon lately. Great on anything.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2006
    This local stuff is like crack; I eat it right out of the jar . . . http://www.boetjesmustard.com/

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    This local stuff is like crack; I eat it right out of the jar . . . http://www.boetjesmustard.com/
    Local? I buy Boetje all the time. Cheese, crackers, summersausage with Boetje mustard on top is the perfect snack.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The kid and I like yellow mustard, but usually only on ham sandwiches. I can handlesome brown mustards, although I cannot stand dijon.

We do use mustard seed (RJ's dry rub for ribs) and occasionally ground mustard in recipes.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Any of our more talented cooks/foodies care to tell me what I can use dried mustard powder for? I picked up a decent sized jar on clearance at the local HEB. So far I have sprinkled in my homemade mac and cheese and it added a nice subtle tang to it. *Yum*

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Any of our more talented cooks/foodies care to tell me what I can use dried mustard powder for? I picked up a decent sized jar on clearance at the local HEB. So far I have sprinkled in my homemade mac and cheese and it added a nice subtle tang to it. *Yum*
    I don't have a recipe but "back in the day", mustard powder was used to make a mustard plaster poultice that was applied to the chest or back to generate heat and break up congestion. Any of the other oldsters here that remember being subjected to these?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Local? I buy Boetje all the time. Cheese, crackers, summersausage with Boetje mustard on top is the perfect snack.
    Rock Island, Illinois. I can see the factory from my house. (sort of)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    BBQ isn't the same without it. Sauce, rubs, etc.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    I too am a fan of spicy mustard. I really dig the beaver brand spicy and sweet mustards.

Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner
    I generally use it in things like crab or potato/fish cakes. Maybe some breaded fried catfish or soemthing might also work?. It also goes surprisingly well as a spice in some sauteed green beans.

somewhat on-topic, why does cutting the mustard mean something totally different than cutting the cheese? Mustard is not usually something you would cut, whereas cheese is. Yet cutting the mustard is considered a good thing and cutting the cheese is considered a bad thing.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Thanks everyone for the mustard powder tips. I will add it to my cooking and see what works!

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    somewhat on-topic, why does cutting the mustard mean something totally different than cutting the cheese? Mustard is not usually something you would cut, whereas cheese is. Yet cutting the mustard is considered a good thing and cutting the cheese is considered a bad thing.
    Probably totally wrong but my guess is that cutting mustard is impossible so cutting the mustard would mean doing something difficult really well. While cutting certain cheeses may be considered um... smelly...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I too am a fan of spicy mustard. I really dig the beaver brand spicy and sweet mustards.
    Made in my hometown of Beaverton, Oregon! Not sure if you knew, but Beaverton Foods started out with Old Lady Biggi bottling her horseradish sauce during the Depression. Horseradish was something that grew well in the then-swampy area.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Made in my hometown of Beaverton, Oregon! Not sure if you knew, but Beaverton Foods started out with Old Lady Biggi bottling her horseradish sauce during the Depression. Horseradish was something that grew well in the then-swampy area.
    I didn't know any of that - but I do enjoy their horseradish sauces also!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Easily my # 1 condiment. I love me some regular yellow mustard on almost every type of sandwich. I'm having it right now on a turkey sandwich with asiago cheese.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Easily my # 1 condiment. I love me some regular yellow mustard on almost every type of sandwich. I'm having it right now on a turkey sandwich with asiago cheese.
    Bless you, my son! Can't make the missus understand that mustard goes with turkey and almost everything else.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2002
    When I was little I was famous for my peanut butter and mustard sandwiches. Best with a mild yellow mustard, or perhaps a Gulden's type. Best to put no dijon or horseradish mustard on such a sandwich.

I was so into mustard my sister once wrote an "Encyclopedia of Mustardology" as a gift for me. It is full of recipes, quotes, and facts about mustard. I treasure it.

I put a little (1/4 tsp) powdered mustard seed in my caesar salad dressing.

My first wife was a midwesterner and she intro duced me to Boetje's mustard. Loved it. Can't get it here on the Oregon coast.

Beaver makes many kinds of mustard. The coarse ground is excellent. I generally consider the French's style mustards to be insipid. Useful on hotdogs at a baseball game, though.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Used to be when you went to Tiger Stadium you could only get mustard on your hot dogs - no catsup.
    Tis true! can't tell you the number of times I've had that nasty yellow stuff slathered on my perfectly good hygrade! The mustard goes on automatically. Thats why I would go to the counter to get mine.

So far the only thing I've found to make my food taste better is A1 and Jack's Special Garden Fresh Salsa. (shameless plug for local food)
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 29 Nov 2007, 4:59 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 11:37 PM
  3. Mustard Color?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 21 Apr 2005, 4:56 PM