Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Yes, another career\school question thread

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007

Yes, another career\school question thread

So here's the lowdown, I'm currently employed as a contractor doing all sorts of tasks such as building permitting, building inspection (CALgreen also), npdes inspection, minor plan review and code enforcement. I have all various certifications from the International Code Council relating to aforementioned tasks. I have my BA in political science and am currently halfway through my MPA program at a certain private institution in CA. I'm interested in transportation and environmental planning, but given the bleak job market and overall pessimism from cyburb threads, and numerous over educated graduates clawing for non-paid experience, I'm really reluctant to leave a paying job for an internship.

My question first is will a stand alone MPA (with proper coursework) and given experience be relevant enough for a career in either transport or environmental planning.

This then leads to my second question; would it be redundant to pursue a dual masters in Planning to compliment the MPA since I've already been accepted. However the additional degree would cost nearly $27k and take another 2-3 semesters of time.

Lastly, if it'll be a lot of work breaking into those fields given my current experience\education, and the second Planning degree is not worthwhile would it be best to just look for management analyst type gigs or stick with inspection\compliance route?

Basically I'm a jack of all traits but a master of none and I want to like to begin a career path specializing in something. I would like to get into something stable, versatile, not super stressful, and beneficial for myself and the community.

Yeah I know don't get a degree for its name and don't get in over your head with debt. (i miiiiight have broken this rule )

Search has been my friend
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15190
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25919
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17253

Well have at it guys, any input is greatly appreciated

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    how sad i'm replying to my own thread haha. i think my being "lost" might be an understatement eh?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I just think a lot has been said about degrees and job types, etc that some of us whom have contributed to this forum are getting a little fatigued with basically the same sort of a question.

The short answer is unfortunately no, but maybe some doors might open at current muni, so hold out hope?
    No Signature Required

1. No
    2. No, although the experience you already have is worth more than that MUP.
    3. Probably

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Career advice sought grad school/other ?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 08 Oct 2012, 1:39 PM
  2. Need advice: grad school and career options
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 19 Feb 2012, 7:30 PM
  3. Stuck in career, should I go back to school
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Nov 2010, 10:31 AM
  4. Good career while I go to school