Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Newly minted MBA wanting to go into transportation planning

Newly minted MBA wanting to go into transportation planning

Good evening, I'm in a bit of a dilemma and I wanted to see if anyone has any insight into this area. I've been interested in transportation planning and the transportation field for quite a while now but I have not been able to make any significant breakthroughs. My situation is as follows:

-B.S. in Marketing, graduating with an MBA within the next year (4.0 GPA)
    -2.5 years of government experience, currently in a government job but nothing in the transportation field
    -Really don't want to consider another Master's degree if I can help it (cost and obligation could be too much for other family priorities)
    -Possibly looking to make some kind of transition into transportation by being a transit analyst or something along those lines to get into the field
    -I'm in my late 20's

Any insight on how I could proceed with this kind of transition or what kind of networking resources I could use?

This forum is great by the way

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    I have zero experience with transportation planning but I'd imagine you'd need to start with an internship that's relevant to the field. From what I've seen with MBA programs, some specialize in logistics which you miiiiiight be able to tie into planning? You might want to look into schools that offer certificates in trans planning also. But most importantly, find some experience.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Unfortunately, without some previous experience working directly in planning, preferably transportation planning, it is going to be VERY hard to even earn a transportation planning internship. I have TP experience, among other things, and earned that experience through an internship (when I was working on my BUP) and through the private sector. Alot of TPs are also civil engineers. It has always been hyper-competitive. If you really want to practice TP, you might have to bite the bullet and go back to school for a MUP. See previous posts.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I would say based on your educational experience that a planner-type position would be difficult to obtain, but you're on the right track (ha ha) of thinking an analyst position might be suited to you - something in looking at ridership/marketing of services rather than planning of facilities.

Good luck!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I would say based on your educational experience that a planner-type position would be difficult to obtain, but you're on the right track (ha ha) of thinking an analyst position might be suited to you - something in looking at ridership/marketing of services rather than planning of facilities.

Good luck!
    Yes, demographics and census data to expand a bus line, rather than the coefficient of friction required on a concrete exit ramp.

You could try to come in the back door by going for a marketing-type position for a large metro transit agency. Just a thought. But going for another masters just for the hope of going into transportation planning is insanity. Even working for, say, a real estate company would look better on your resume than being over-educated and under-experienced.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Unfortunately, without some previous experience working directly in planning, preferably transportation planning, it is going to be VERY hard to even earn a transportation planning internship. I have TP experience, among other things, and earned that experience through an internship (when I was working on my BUP) and through the private sector. Alot of TPs are also civil engineers. It has always been hyper-competitive. If you really want to practice TP, you might have to bite the bullet and go back to school for a MUP. See previous posts.
    Agreed. Especially now and for the next ~5 years at least.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Sep 2011, 4:47 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Jun 2010, 1:46 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 30 Jun 2008, 9:25 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Mar 2008, 2:22 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Nov 2001, 9:45 AM