Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Shooting ranges for family members only

Registered
    Feb 2010

Shooting ranges for family members only

Under what classification is anyone finding the indoor shooting range for just family? Not a public or commercial or member based range. A family who just wants to establish one in a commercial building they own for just family and friends? Are you still considering a recreation use and applying the zoning as such? I would love to hear what people are doing. In some cases, the shooting range has been around a long time as an accessory use to a farm or ranch. In this case, the range is nowhere near an ag. based use.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    In Maine that's considered a family room

I am sorry, I know that was a FAC response but I couldn't help myself!

Seriously, here, a noise ordinance would apply

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wsrd View post
    Under what classification is anyone finding the indoor shooting range for just family? Not a public or commercial or member based range. A family who just wants to establish one in a commercial building they own for just family and friends? Are you still considering a recreation use and applying the zoning as such? I would love to hear what people are doing. In some cases, the shooting range has been around a long time as an accessory use to a farm or ranch. In this case, the range is nowhere near an ag. based use.
    Make it a membership only facility ala the Elks, and make memberships open to the public, however on the application make them prove a blood line or something... or conversely use a back yard.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2004

DUCK!

Special Use for a private indoor shooting range and they would need to have all the neighbors on board with a nice set of building plans showing that it meets all safety standards of a commercial range.

They could just move to rural Arizona, where they can just kick the back screen door open and start firing into the desert....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Well, my first post on cyburbia in 10 years, I think, and what a hoot. Thank you all for the totally inappropriate comments and entertainment. I was falling asleep at my desk till I opened up this thread. Such food for thought. I did call the NRA and ask them and I will let you know what they say.

I know that we need to consider it through a conditional use permit; we just don't have any definition or use category to align this use with. Thanks so much for the start of a great conversation run.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by wsrd View post
    Well, my first post on cyburbia in 10 years, I think, and what a hoot. Thank you all for the totally inappropriate comments and entertainment. I was falling asleep at my desk till I opened up this thread. Such food for thought. I did call the NRA and ask them and I will let you know what they say.

I know that we need to consider it through a conditional use permit; we just don't have any definition or use category to align this use with. Thanks so much for the start of a great conversation run.
    Of course this is Colo and there's no use for it - but why aren't they shooting prairie dogs?!

I don't really see how it could be a problem, unless they are in city limits, then you'd better have an open house and a charrette and sketch plans...6-inch walls minimum and fill it with batts and maybe some sheathing insulation to the interior? I bet the NRA has full plans and lists of soundproofing material.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well.....

Glad you enjoy our comments wsrd

I've never heard of an indoor shooting range category for a "family" Just lump it under the private shooting range category and since I'm assuming you don't have that in your local regulations, add it.
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Uses Indoor shooting ranges
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Dec 2012, 2:37 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Aug 2006, 3:46 PM
  3. Shooting ranges
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2