Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you use as shorthand for carbonated beverages?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pop

18 33.96%
  • Soda

20 37.74%
  • Soda pop

0 0%
  • Soft drink

2 3.77%
  • Coke

11 20.75%
  • Tonic

1 1.89%
  • Phosphate

0 0%
  • Fizzy drink

0 0%
  • Cold drink

1 1.89%
  • Cool drink

0 0%
  • Ginger

0 0%
  • Lolly water

0 0%
  • Juice

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pop or soda?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Pop or soda?

I'm just barely on the "soda" side of the pop/soda isogloss. Barely. Signs in supermarkets here say "soda" or "soda/pop", and most locals say "soda". Just west or south of town, it's almost always called "pop".

I proudly and defiantly call it POP. I grew up in Pop Country. "Soda" is what you get at ice cream parlors and Kosher delis. POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP POP.

POP.

What do you call carbonated beverages?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I think I was a teenager before I heard someone refer to it (only) as "pop."

California, of course

I'm a Jersey kid, so it's soda for me. Though if my Hoosier friends ask for a "pop", I know they don't want me to strike them ...
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm fairly certain I live in the epicenter of pop.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2005
    We mainly use soft drink or fizzy drink. Defo not pop or soda!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Growing up in SW Michigan, it was always pop in our house but we also heard soda pop on occasion. I've been in Texas so long that coke is sometimes used generically.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Pop. We are midwest to the core. It seems the coasts like soda. I found it quite funny to ask for fizzy drink in Australia.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Growing up in the next largest city south of Atlanta, everything is coke Here in NC most call it Soda.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I'm a Jersey kid, so it's soda for me. Though if my Hoosier friends ask for a "pop", I know they don't want me to strike them ...
    I started 9th grade (at boarding school) with a new roommate, a student from Michigan. When she asked me where she could buy a "pop," I had to get her to repeat it a couple of times because I thought she was saying "pot"!

That was the first time I had ever heard someone refer to "soda" as "pop."

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Growing up in the next largest city south of Atlanta, everything is coke
    Seriously - Coke or a soft drink. None of this soda/pop nonsense.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I'm fairly certain I live in the epicenter of pop.
    Same here! Interesting, most of MI is 80-100% pop but the county I live in is one of few in the 50-80% bracket.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Pop. We are midwest to the core. It seems the coasts like soda. I found it quite funny to ask for fizzy drink in Australia.
    Yea, where I grew up people would actually glare at you for saying soda. Although where I am now a few more people will say soda, but I think the majority still say pop.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

In the northeast (I grew up in Revere MA) any soft drink was and still is call "Tonic" but once you move from there its soda or pop or soft drink.

Pop-with the nice nasally Chicago/Northwest Indiana accent, tyvm. I live in Coke country, so I used both.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Pop-with the nice nasally Chicago/Northwest Indiana accent, tyvm.
    How do they say it? In Buffalo, ground zero of the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, you'll occasionally hear "pā-yahp", but it's mostly "paahp"
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2006
    After living for a dozen years in the Albany area, I finally learned to say "soda" -- and then I returned to WNY which is definitely "pop" country.

I think that any college town in west of Syracuse in Upstate NY is probably split between "pop" and "soda" because all the college kids from Downstate say "soda" and all the locals say "pop".

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Enough of this nonsense, it's COKE. It doesn't matter if it's a Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Mello-Yello or Fanta all carbonated soft drinks are, and should be, referred to as coke.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    In Arizona it soda...even the Michituckians have dropped the ridiculous term pop.

With that said I grew up calling it Coke. I asked my parents and when my father was in the Air Force we were always stationed in the South and he picked up calling it Coke.

Living in Michigan was the first time I had heard the term "pop". I thought they wanted a lolli-pop...which they call suckers.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by shell_waster View post
    Enough of this nonsense, it's COKE. It doesn't matter if it's a Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Mello-Yello or Fanta all carbonated soft drinks are, and should be, referred to as coke.
    Spoken like a true Southerner. It is Coke for all

Once while camping in the Smokies we had a tent site next to this teacher from Bawstin. For some reason, us Southerners referrring to all soda as "coke" got under her skin. So of course we went out of our way to work "coke" in a generic way for pop into the conversation.

We were 19. I've matured since then. Not a lot. But some.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Indeed, I remember visiting my Texas cousins when I was in Junior High and going to restaurant where the waitress asked what kind of Coke I wanted. Mind you, this was before Diet drinks and all of that. There was only one kind of Coke -Coke! So why the hell was she asking what kind I wanted? I was so confused...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Do you at least call it Diet? Or is that still just Coke?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Do you at least call it Diet? Or is that still just Coke?
    Everything is a 'coke' diet, pepsi products, etc, if you want something different you just need to say you want a 'Mountain Dew' when asked what kind.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I think we called it pop whenI was little but now I say soda. Things that make you say Hmmm...
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    No hedging or equivocation, plain and simple we call it 'pop' here.... as in "bring us two pops, sonny boy, and make it snappy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15_rbpfo-A0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15_rbpfo-A0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="385">
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15_rbpfo-A0
    Last edited by Maister; 02 Aug 2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added youtube link

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Here's the Utah 2 cents: Out here, you ask somebody if they want a DRINK. What you mean when you say that is "Coke, Pepsi, or the like". Because water is for granolas (that's what we call the crunchy folks) and alcohol is for gentiles.

If you're ever here from out of town and at a restaurant you ask what they've got to "drink", you better follow it up with "and I am talking about alcohol, kid".
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Favorite Pop (Soda)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 09 Jan 2006, 3:35 PM
  2. Pop vs. Soda
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 78
    Last post: 29 Nov 2005, 7:45 PM