Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The worst POS car you've ever owned

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Has anyone on Cyburbia ever owned a MERKUR XR4TI? That has to automatically qualify as a winning post for this thread.
    A friend of mine owned a Yugo for a couple of years...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    My HS boyfriend had one of these...silver with a maroon interior. It was a POS and the gas gauge had a mind of its own which led to some interesting hikes.
    kjel - are you sure he didn't rig that gas gauge on purpose?
    Never mind, you are talking about the Mustang II.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Has anyone on Cyburbia ever owned a MERKUR XR4TI? That has to automatically qualify as a winning post for this thread

Didn't that car inspire Adam Sandler's Piece of $hit Car song???

I need to make that a ring tone on my phone for every time RJ drunk dials me....
    Those WERE pretty bad.

Also:
    Hyundai Excel (1986-1989)
    Renault LeCar
    AMC Gremlin (Merthmobile!)
    Chevy Vega
    Ford Pinto
    Sterling 800 series (1987-1992)
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Has anyone on Cyburbia ever owned a MERKUR XR4TI? That has to automatically qualify as a winning post for this thread
    I think he only posted here once, but a friend of mine owned one for a while - he babied it though and I think it generally didn't give him too much trouble.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Those WERE pretty bad.

Also:
    Hyundai Excel (1986-1989)
    Renault LeCar
    AMC Gremlin (Merthmobile!)
    Chevy Vega
    Ford Pinto
    Sterling 800 series (1987-1992)
    My AMC Gremlin never gave me a bit of trouble. I loved that little car!

OTOH, my Plymouth Horizon was about as close to a POS car that I ever owned. It wasn't major repairs but it was lots of smallish ones way too frequently. Not counting the 1987 Nissan pickup that I rolled and left for dead on the NYS THRUWAY within 9 months of driving it off the lot, I owned the Horizon the shortest of any of my cars -- just 4 years.

I like to buy them new, and I'm a religious fanatic about preventative maintenance, so I expect my vehicles to give me years of reliable service -- 7 or 8 at least.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    A friend of mine had one AND the MERKUR Scorpio at the same time. He gave the local Lincoln Mercury dealershp a ton of cash!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm pretty pleased to say I have had pretty darn good luck with vehicles and I wouldn't call any of them a POS. Here is what I have owned:

1969 Volvo 122 - my first car. Very simple, easy to work on. The engine bay was so big, and the motor so small, you could practically crawl in there with it!

1978 Volvo 245 Wagon. Great vehicle - drove it across the country twice. The only major problem was overheating in the Mojave desert. But the story ended well and I had a very cool experience on the Rez there.

1988 VW Golf 2-door. A sweet, peppy little car I drove into the ground. Bought it from my parents and drove it back and forth from Austin to Philadelphia about a dozen times.

1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88. This was my grandmother's car and I inherited it with 35,000 original miles! But it did cost me a lot, not only in gas, but in repairs because so much had dry-rotted since it so rarely got used (garaged in Tulsa). But still an awesome cruising vehicle. Sold it when I moved from Texas.

1985 Volvo 240 sedan. Another great Volvo. Drove it out from PA to NM when we moved. Finally sold it with 198k on it and it still drove great.

1992 Toyota Camry. I find the Camry unremarkable and impossible to find in a parking lot because its the same as every other car. But a great ride! Very roomy inside, smooth, and super quiet. Inherited it from my MIL when she passed away.

1998 Nissan Maxima. The nicest car I have owned - had leather seats, Bose stereo, sunroof. And super fast. But not a great fit for our lifestyle (two kids and a dog and the need to go camping). Inherited it from my father when Alzheimer's sent him into a nursing home (he's still there).

1986 Nissan pickup king cab. A nice tough little truck with a cap on the back. Had some issues, but never left us stranded. ALMOST left us way out on some forest roads int he Gila National Forest, but eventually started and got us home. The next day it completely died and it turned out the fuel pump was shot. A very close call. We were about 15-20 miles from the nearest paved road, which was still in the middle of nowhere.

1984 VW Vanagon. Still have this one. What a great vehicle! Its had its problems - I had to replace the engine about 8 years ago and put a 1994 Jetta 2.0l in there and the thing is a BEAST. We take it everywhere, but its mainly for camping. Recently put some nice all terrain truck tires on there and its great on the forest roads. Also did some soundproofing to quiet the thing down a bit on the highway. But with that engine, I can easily go 85mph.

1991 Volvo 245 Wagon. Our current main driver. Got it a few years ago from a guy who restores these things. Its in pristine shape and a delight to drive. As you can see, I love Volvos. With only 145k on it, its just getting warmed up...

I have never, and will never, buy a new car. I just don't see it as a decent investment.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    You know, I don't really remember the model year. It was either 1954, 1955 or 1956. I think it was a '54.

1954 Willys Sedan

I was commuting to Bowling Green State University, from west Toledo. Probably about a 30 mile one-way excursion. The compression was so bad with this blue "thing" that it would struggle to get up a hill. Please note, a "hill" in NW Ohio is the pile of dirt with a bridge over the expressway.

What a POS.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    '59 Opel - Bought cheap (+/- $300) in '65. Had to have brakes redone. Took it out on expressway and threw rod through block. POS.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Enforcement Government owned properties
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Feb 2013, 8:12 PM
  2. Junkers I've owned
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 12 Apr 2009, 7:13 AM