Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dual degrees in urban planning and public health

Dual degrees in urban planning and public health

Hello all,

I was accepted to graduate school for dual degrees in Urban Planning and Public Health, but before I make the decision to pursue the dual, or the the MUP only, I am trying to get as much information/advice as possible from people who work in these fields. I would really appreciate any input on the following topics:

1. Has anyone out there done the dual MPH/MUP? Do your health credentials make you safer in the current tough planning job market? Which degree best enables you to create positive change in the community with which you're working? What indispensable and mutually exclusive skills did you learn in the MPH and MUP programs?

2. Are there any planners out there (without formal public health education) that are really involved in health promotion projects? Are there any traditional public health skills you lack that would make you more effective? What is the job market like for health focused MUPs?

Thanks in advance--looking forward to hearing from the cyburbia community.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I am wondering what programs you are currently looking at. I have been looking into applying for a dual master in urban planning in public health. I also donīt have a public health background and have a BA in architecture, and have similar concerns. When I visited Columbia, they only had one student who was doing the dual degree, who I spoke with, but she gave me more concerns on whether or not I needed to pursue both degrees.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by parisinspringtime View post

2. Are there any planners out there (without formal public health education) that are really involved in health promotion projects? Are there any traditional public health skills you lack that would make you more effective? What is the job market like for health focused MUPs?
    These projects are generally staffed from both the land-use and public health side. Sometimes around here some contract work comes up for a planner to help wade thru the morass of planning process.

Nonetheless, IMHO both professions are complimentary but I don't know that they can't be populated by a single person. Can't hurt, except the loan will be bigger and neither profession will pay the loan off any faster.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Aug 2010, 2:14 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Dec 2009, 3:39 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 23 Feb 2008, 2:09 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Apr 2004, 9:44 PM