Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hunter vs. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Registered
    Apr 2011

Hunter vs. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

First Post!!

Looking for advice!

I was admitted to Cal Poly SLO's MCRP Program and Hunter's MUP Program for Fall 11.

I'm coming straight out of Buffalo's Undergrad Env. Design Program and want to specialize in transportation infrastructure and/or urban design. [I was also accepted to UBuffalo, but am not thrilled with the way the dept is being run/direction it is taking, and im sick of the snow].

I'm a native of NY and am pretty positive I want to settle near NYC eventually. Is is better academically to go to Hunter? It is cheaper, but I kind of want to get out of NY and experience something else? But CA is far. I wanted to see academically if it was really worth the experience and whether it may hurt me in finding a job in ny in a few years?

An advice on the quality of the programs vs relocating?

Thanks!

If youre set on working in NYC after school then it would make sense to go to Hunter. Even if the school doesn't have as good a planning program, your network will be the thing that counts most when you are ready to look for work.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    For planning careers, New York is one of those states where once you leave, it's very difficult to get back in. If you want to work in the state, Hunter, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Albany, Cornell, Columbia or maybe New School or SUNY ESF are the way to go.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 03 Apr 2011, 8:52 PM
  2. San Luis Obispo, CA
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 89
    Last post: 18 Feb 2011, 7:16 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Oct 2009, 11:24 AM
  4. San Luis Obispo, Ca
    Cities and Places