Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Obama releases long-form birth certificate

Registered
    Jan 2005

Obama releases long-form birth certificate

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/im...-long-form.pdf

Does this mean the birthers will go away?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/im...-long-form.pdf

No. They've all started saying crap like "It took them three years to create a fake one with an appropriate range serial number", etc., or start complaining about something else, usually bringing up the "Why did it take three years?" questions, despite the fact that Obama released a certificate in 2008 that met all the legal requirements to establish his place of birth and, subsequently, his citizenship. This "long form" is just that - a longer form of what he released in 2008 - both of which the State of Hawaii has said establish, legally, his location and date of birth.

This whole Obama birth certificate "issue" is merely a red herring for all involved - "birthers", Trump, and now the White House, too, with their catering to the ingrates. Now if everyone can kindly move on with their lives and to other things that are actually important and relevant...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    And that Donald Trump will shut up? We can hope...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Nope - yet another politicaly charged diversion will creep out and clog the airways.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    No. They've all started saying crap like "It took them three years to create a fake one with an appropriate range serial number", etc., or start complaining about something else, usually bringing up the "Why did it take three years?" questions, despite the fact that Obama released a certificate in 2008 that met all the legal requirements to establish his place of birth and, subsequently, his citizenship. This "long form" is just that - a longer form of what he released in 2008 - both of which the State of Hawaii has said establish, legally, his location and date of birth.

This whole Obama birth certificate "issue" is merely a red herring for all involved - "birthers", Trump, and now the White House, too, with their catering to the ingrates. Now if everyone can kindly move on with their lives and to other things that are actually important and relevant...
    Texan,
    while I don't always agree with you on political issues, I find that I do agree with your viewpoint on the birthers and their crap. Since I was born in Hawaii, my parents are very familiar with this issue, and find the unbelievers, frankly, unbelievable. If the guy has been declared legal by the state of his birth, at some point got a passport, and proved his citizenship in order to even run for President, why will the birthers not drop this issue and move on?
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Trump should, in the spirit of full disclosure, finally release the intricate system of his combover/comb forward/DQ icecream twist that has been confounding people for the last twenty years or so.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Has there ever been a conspiracy theory that went away? They just morph slightly and keep on going. It was a lot harder before Al Gore invented the www.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004

Getting in touch with my inner birther...

This doesnt prove anything! It brings up more questions! It says his father is African!!! It proves he isn't a "natural born citizen"! Why did it take so long to release?? Why is he releasing this instead of focusing on solvng he country's problems!! He should be releasing a jobs plan not a birth certificate!! What is he hiding???!!! This proves he is awful!!!!!!!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    For a brief spell during my misspent internets youth, I debated with holocaust deniers. There was absolutely nothing they saw or heard that they couldn't just brush off as fake/a Zioni$t lie/etc. The birther thing, like 9/11 was an inside job and the moon landings were faked, is that sort of conspiracy. Some people really are that stupid.

Teleprompter! Maoist! Dijon Mustard! 57 States! Birth Certificate! Arugula! Empty Suit! Alcoholic! Weakling can't quit smoking! Kenyan! Hussein!
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Has there ever been a conspiracy theory that went away? They just morph slightly and keep on going. It was a lot harder before Al Gore invented the www.
    I remember reading once that doomsday cults exhibit a similar dynamic. Even after "end of the world" predictions don't come to pass, believers will accept any explanation that doesn't negate their views. They are so invested, to admit it was all a farce or a misguided belief is tantamount to an existential crisis.

What will Orly Taitz do now?
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Hilarious comments

On FB one of my friends, a professional clown, hadn't heard. She's responding to the "carnival barker" line in a way she'll regret.

A fun summary of local comments.

More entertainment: the correspondence

ETA: this just in from another clueless FBer:
    "I looked over the certificate and I was surprised to find that the doctor did not know whether or not he was an MD. it is scratched over and goes through the word OTHER. Is it blocking out that Ann was not the biological parent? I am not a birther. I think the repubs should come up with a better fight then ancestry as their best pot shot but it should not go without question."

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I found that issue to be a curiosity when Hillary Clinton brought it up during the primary season back in 2008, but found it to be totally silly shortly thereafter. OTOH, I was then (and still very much am now) much more concerned about the content of his character and how he is and will be handling the very real issues of the day (ie, the out-of-control deficit, our collapsing currency, high energy prices and our not allowing the development of our own *VAST* proven reserves, ongoing foreign affairs FUBARs, etc).

Mike

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    [birther] He might have some dang 'ol birth certificate, but that ain't don't mean he's a real 'merricun. Also, I ain't gonna' trust nothing that the gub'mint issued. *spit* [/birther]
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What I find most disturbing about all this 'birther' nonsense is that it appears nearly half of self-described republicans buy into it. We're not talking about just a few gap-toothed, home schoolers holed up in a compound in Wyoming here.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    We're not talking about just a few gap-toothed, home schoolers holed up in a compound in Wyoming here.
    Agree, but to be fair the Wyoming Militia of Constitutional Defenders has an excellent dental plan

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What I find most disturbing about all this 'birther' nonsense is that it appears nearly half of self-described republicans buy into it. We're not talking about just a few gap-toothed, home schoolers holed up in a compound in Wyoming here.
    Some non-scientific polls on various websites are indicating that the majority of republicans are still not buying that he is a citizen even after this release.

I am having a very entertaining time reading various right-wing sites and commentors on this issue today.

Truthfully- it seems as though nearly half of self-described republicans have completely lost their minds.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Some non-scientific polls on various websites are indicating that the majority of republicans are still not buying that he is a citizen even after this release.

I am having a very entertaining time reading various right-wing sites and commentors on this issue today.

Truthfully- it seems as though nearly half of self-described republicans have completely lost their minds.
    Don't those polls have to be wrong? How can that still be a serious question for so many people?!? I don't even hear it seriously discussed in Utah, for pete's sake, and everyone (almost literally) is Republican. Jeez.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Don't those polls have to be wrong? How can that still be a serious question for so many people?!? I don't even hear it seriously discussed in Utah, for pete's sake, and everyone (almost literally) is Republican. Jeez.
    I would hope so. It could be that on various websites morons are more overrepresented than the general public. In fact I would say that must be true.

It will be interesting to see some scientific polls in a few days or so. Like some otehrs have mentioned- true conspiracy theories never go away.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    not allowing the development of our own *VAST* proven reserves, ongoing foreign affairs FUBARs, etc).

Mike
    You mean the ones that will go straight to the world market and we won't see a drop of oil

On-going foreign affairs-he's sleeping with women from other countries, not good old American girls.

The birther nonsense was just a distraction meant to rile up the true believers. The media ran with it because people would watch that junk, which translated into ratings, which translated into money. They have more smoke and mirrors waiting.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I would hope so. It could be that on various websites morons are more overrepresented than the general public. In fact I would say that must be true.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    this probably won't make me popular, but I've long viewed birthers with the following mathmatical formula:

birthers = bigots

Mainly because every birther I've encountered has mentioned:
    OMG he's a Muslim (most common)
    OMG he hates white people
    OMG he's black

It is probably an unfair characterization, but it has been my experience around these parts locally (haven't seen this in any Cyburbians, but I don't think we have any that I immediately recall).

Birthers frustrate me because they ruin political discourse with these red herrings. I've got no problem if someone doesn't like Obama--he's done (or hasn't done, as the case may be) some stuff that has pissed me off. He's done plenty of things that conservatives can target easily for meaningful criticism. I would welcome their debate and criticism of these things. But debating his citizenship, which he has more than adequately proven? That is a debate that angers me.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I high energy prices and our not allowing the development of our own *VAST* proven reserves, ongoing foreign affairs FUBARs, etc).

Mike
    The US has 3% of the worlds proven oil reserves but we produce 10% of the worlds oil. I would say thats not bad

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The Onion's take on the whole situation can be found here.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    The Onion's take on the whole situation can be found here.
    That one may go down in the annals of Onion history as one of their truly great headlines.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2005
    The more soundbites I hear from Trump, the more convinced I am that he has a black soul. I think I may dislike him more than some of the Tea Party politcians.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 36
    Last post: 30 Mar 2012, 5:15 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Feb 2010, 9:02 AM
  3. Birth order
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 102
    Last post: 23 May 2007, 2:15 PM
  4. The Changes In The Birth Process