Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The NEVERENDING Retail Development in the San Luis Obispo/Central Coast Area Thread

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

The NEVERENDING Retail Development in the San Luis Obispo/Central Coast Area Thread

Moderator note:
    The NEVERENDING retail development in the San Luis Obispo/Central Coast area thread will be the ONLY thread where the discussion of retail development in San Luis Obispo and the California Central Coast area will be allowed. Posts in other threads where retail development in the SLO/CC area (this includes, but is not limited to Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Cambria, Paso Robles, and San Simeon) are mentioned will be moved to this thread.

This thread is not intended to stifle discussion in other threads and forums regarding general planning and development issues in the SLO/CC area by professional planners working in the area.

The existence of this thread does not imply a waiver to Forums rule 2.11, which reads:
    2.11 Single issue posters / one-trick ponies
    The Forums are not intended to furnish people with a venue for single-mindedly promoting their personal agenda. Staff may ask users to limit or refrain from posting on a certain topic.
    Cyburbia staff reserves the right to move this thread to another forum, or close it at any time.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    What is this SLO you speak of?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    this is hilarious!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by urban19
    Madonna Plaza: Used to be one of the first lifestyle centers until the 1990s when they redeveloped it and tore out the smaller stores and movie theater and put in more big box stores.

Irish Hills Plaza: Home Depot was the first retailer to go in and then Costco followed and then other retailers filled the center. The center now has full vacancy except one spot next to Heritage Oaks Bank. The homes near this shopping center are very nice too.

The four big-box shopping centers in SLO are all in the south part of town off of Madonna Road or Los Osos Valley Road. Both have a tremendous amount of traffic and the Los Osos Valley Overchange needs to have the bridge widened because the fourth big-box center is expected to create more traffic. Unfortunately, the shopping center is going in before traffic improvements will occur. The city is need of money, so the city allowed that to happen. All of the big box centers do very well because they are in high traffic areas and college consumers help too.

In Paso Robles, the Woodlands Plaza 2 saved a town in desperate need for cash revenue in the 1990s. It shut down K-Mart which had a bad location, but the Walmart center attracted JCPenney's and Kohl's and other retailers. Some argue it took away business from downtown, but I believe that's not true.

Yes the shopping center company in the mall name annoys me too. Most lazy kids where I went to school in LA for a while would just call their mall "the Westfield Mall" versus calling it by it's actual name. I think even the former name of Shoppingtown sounded better.
    Posted yesterday. Moved to the SLO thread.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2005

and this is without Macy's

USAToday article says SLO the Happiest Town in America. Can you believe it? Oprah does...

\
    SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – The Happiest Town in the Whole USA is surrounded by lush hills that at this time of year are so intensely green, they practically sparkle. A refreshing breeze wafts in from the Pacific, just 10 miles away. There's no need for a car, since the downtown is infinitely walkable. And if you do drive, traffic jams are rare.

The only apparent graffiti is a colorful 3-D mosaic of chewed gum plastered in an alleyway, a community-sanctioned oddity dubbed Bubblegum Alley. A construction worker says hello without a hint of lecherousness. An inscription on the courthouse clock counsels: Spend Time With Those You Love.

Nobody smokes.

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinati...SA-/45900412/1
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the article! My wife works at one of the boutiques mentioned in the article, betcha ya can't figure it out
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    The planner from SLO was at my facilitated session I did with TOFB - I was so tempted to throw in a Cyburbian reference

Off-topic:
    we should have Cyburbian ribbons made to put on our name tags

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    The planner from SLO was at my facilitated session I did with TOFB - I was so tempted to throw in a Cyburbian reference

Off-topic:

Was it a little woman with a nose ring?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post

Off-topic:
    What you didn't ask about Macy's
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Mr. Chairman, I make the motion CPSURaf and u19 consider appying for this position jointly and duke it out in a debate in front of the planning student body.

http://www.planning.org/jobs/search/...htm?AdID=42082

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Jul 2011, 5:19 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 03 Apr 2011, 8:52 PM
  3. San Luis Obispo, CA
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 89
    Last post: 18 Feb 2011, 7:16 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Oct 2009, 11:24 AM