Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Double standard for park signs?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Double standard for park signs?

The other day I was driving past a park in a neighboring community. Although it abuts an arterial, the uses around the park and on the arterial are nearly all residential in this area. The park has a sign. It is an LED monument sign. Flashing across the sign at the moment was an ad for Baker's Square.

Illuminated signs normally require a conditional use. They are allowed only in commercial zones. They can only advertise the business on the property.

So how is it that the city can allow itself to have an electronic billboard? This is a growing issue as the parks staff (and schools) typically view it as an opportunity for revenue. I have seen the same thing with backstops and scoreboards. Vending machines in parks are a similar issue. Seems to me the city is opening itself up to liability.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    So how is it that the city can allow itself to have an electronic billboard? This is a growing issue as the parks staff (and schools) typically view it as an opportunity for revenue. I have seen the same thing with backstops and scoreboards. Vending machines in parks are a similar issue. Seems to me the city is opening itself up to liability.
    In all honesty, if I were you I would not worry about it. You don't want to start ticking off all your Dept. Directors and City Manager. I think it's widely understood that cities are often exempted from *some* codes. For example,many cities don't allow off-site advertising at all but the downtown light poles all have "sponsors" ads on them. It really amounts to off-site advertising but they'll keep their mouths closed because sponsor ads are pretty common in all American downtowns. As for your Baker's Square sign (they still have those??), maybe a call to your parks director asking him about the ad would be appropriate. Sometimes people don't honestly know the codes and because they work for the city, they forget to check.

In general, though, the question you need to ask is the offense bad enough to affect the integrity of the city? Are you willing to lose your job over this misdeed?
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    If your like my city, we exempted a certain RDA from our sign regulations. Guess what agency typically puts up signs?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Dec 2008
    In reworking some of our sign codes, we allowed Conditional Uses for EMC signs for public entities. When our city manager decides he wants an EMC for city hall, he will apply and be processed....I think I have to say YES, but he WILL apply.... We gave our parks dept. a big hand slapping last year when they put up a bunch of illegal signs advertising for baseball sign ups. We just asked them to do it like everybody else has to. It was awkward, but not too big a deal.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Double standard or not?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 21 May 2009, 8:37 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 May 2007, 10:40 AM
  3. Commerce park signs
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 08 Dec 2005, 10:12 PM