Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Your house a billboard

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Your house a billboard

Here is an interesting story about the "benefit" of turning your house into a billboard: House billboard = free mortgage

Actually, I'd probably seriously comtemplate it if the local zoning allowed, which wouldn't be likely in most places I'd be willing to live.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Just wait until these people start getting fined for their illegal signage. Unless of course the fine is less than the income they are making - then it will be quite annoying for the planning departments.

*note to self, when updating sign code remember to specifically ban house's as signs....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

House paint... billboards?

So, I'm generally one to let people paint their house however they want... you want polka-dots? Fine as long as it isn't a safety hazard.
    If they choose to live in a development with a homeowners association that adds requirements for that type of thing, that's their choice.

That being said, I just don't like the idea of making your house into a billboard.

Thoughts?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by P1nr_Bill View post

Thoughts?

If you listen carefully, you will hear the last shreds of humankind's self respect slipping away......
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    If you listen carefully, you will hear the last shreds of humankind's self respect slipping away......
    I don't know that it is self-respect that makes our exteriors conform. I'd say it is adherence to perceived social norms. But in our new normal, having a job to pay the mortgage is not a given. So I can see this being a valid calculation, and with an added bonus of embarrassing the kids!

Does anybody's sign regs address these rolling billboards?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Back in the 1950s, people in the country used to use their barns as billboards. In exchange for a new roof, companies would paint signs on the sides of barns facing busy roads. In fact, those signs have become popular historic items. There's one just outside Sherman, NY where the owners have restored/repainted the Mail Pouch Tobacco sign that was painted on their barn.

Restoring/repainting historic signs painted on industrial/commericial buildings has been popular for at least 20 years. I remember seeing numerous ones in downtown Albany and downtown Troy when I lived in the Capital District. There's at least one in downtown Jamestown of all places!

Registered
    Dec 2010
    As goofy as it looks, I don't think I would object all that much. Suburbs get boring to drive through anyway IMHO, I think it would be a funny twist to see this from time to time.

Then again, the only issue I have with signage in my short time as a planner is seperate structures for signs (pole sings and the like). They are just so ugly. I think part of the reason I enjoy the urban setting over the suburban is that the signage is an actual part of the building and therefore fosters some uniqueness.

These would definitely be unique, maybe a little too unique for people...
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    These would definitely be unique, maybe a little too unique for people...
    No one would want to live next to, or in one of these places unless they were getting paid for it. Well almost no one.... there are always those 1%.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    As goofy as it looks, I don't think I would object all that much. Suburbs get boring to drive through anyway IMHO, I think it would be a funny twist to see this from time to time.
    A majority of suburban houses have vinyl or brick siding which doesn't lend itself to this. Our city wouldn't allow it but then again we get calls when people paint their houses something non-earth tone.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    Back in the 1950s, people in the country used to use their barns as billboards...
    Restoring/repainting historic signs painted on industrial/commericial buildings has been popular for at least 20 years.
    I can't explain why but I'm OK with barns and larger multi-unit buildings doing this. Maybe it's just the idea of selling-out your personal space. It's kind of like getting a tattoo of a company logo for money. (though not as permanent, granted.)

Speaking with a coworker about it, I realized I wouldn't mind if they were the backs of houses facing a highway or something... that would at least make sense. People who really need to do this, rather than foreclosing in a place that would also allow this kind of thing are likely night in a market area where the billboard would

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If this case is any indication it could be an uphill fight to regulate these billboard houses (as hideous as they are):

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/...e-in-sign.html

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    If this case is any indication it could be an uphill fight to regulate these billboard houses (as hideous as they are):

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/...e-in-sign.html
    I think in that case the "sign" was political in nature so it's untouchable. I know courts in the past have sided that advertising signs can be regulated more heavily that non-advertising signs.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    [QUOTE=Linda_D;584686]Back in the 1950s, people in the country used to use their barns as billboards. In exchange for a new roof, companies would paint signs on the sides of barns facing busy roads. In fact, those signs have become popular historic items. There's one just outside Sherman, NY where the owners have restored/repainted the Mail Pouch Tobacco sign that was painted on their barn.

Like "SEE ROCK CITY" in the south.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Annual billboard registration
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Oct 2013, 5:21 PM
  2. Signs / billboards Methods for billboard regulation?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Jun 2011, 3:32 PM
  3. Billboard
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Oct 2004, 12:42 PM
  4. Signs / billboards Billboard zoning
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Dec 2002, 11:49 AM