Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: McGill vs. Dalhousie

Registered
    Apr 2011

McGill vs. Dalhousie

So I have offers from both, and I have begun making a pros vs cons list for each university. I would love some input from people that have attended or know of someone who attended either of these schools. So tell me your opinion!

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    Chips, why don't you tell us a bit more about your situation (i.e. what are the pros and cons you've already come up with), and that way people can give you more informed feedback. I personally don't have much info to give you on either place, but I'm sure lots of other people here do. Have you received funding info from either place? Assuming you'd enjoy either location, funding would seem to be the next most important factor.

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Good idea! I have not received funding from either place, so costs are a factor. So some pros and cons:

Dalhousie
    Pros:
    -Family and some friends in Halifax (+ my sister just got accepted to law at Dal)
    -Small university
    -Living costs would be cheaper
    Cons:
    -Basically an east coast version of where I am now (it would be nice for a change of scenery)
    -Tuition
    -Reputation not as high as McGill

McGill:
    Pros:
    -Tuition is about $5000 cheaper per year (including the fact that I'm an out of province student)
    -International/National Reputation
    -Big city with lots to do
    Cons:
    -Living costs are more
    -Large university
    -I haven't spoken French since grade 11 (which isn't that big of a problem)

Both:
    -Require me to move across country
    -Hands on, studio based
    -Only accept 20-30 students

Registered
    Jan 2011
    I'm from and studied in Halifax and currently studying in Montreal. Cost of living is actually considerably cheaper in Montreal, even in the great neighborhoods. My experience with the job market in Montreal isn't so great. You really need, at the very least, conversational French and even then jobs are few and far between. That's my experience anyway.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I think you can cross reputation off as a deciding factor. They're both good schools and when looking for work it is very rare that an employer will choose based on which school you went to (or even what your grades were).

You will definitely need some French if you want to work in Montreal.

Registered
    Apr 2011
    What about the programs themselves? Pros and Cons I should know about with each program?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: McGill McGill MUP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Jan 2013, 2:19 PM
  2. Dalhousie Fall 2011
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 2:30 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Sep 2009, 3:02 PM