Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The value of experience

Registered
    Feb 2004

The value of experience

They say you never really appreciate what you have until you no longer have it. Something simple like breathing that normally occupies no attention whatsoever suddenly assumes immense importance if one is sick and experiencing respiratory difficulty while struggling for each and every breath. Many folks donít discover what was good about (even supposedly bad) relationships until the relationship ends. A person who grows up in a well-to-do family is only going to understand the pains and pressures of poverty on an intellectual plane, in much the same way that someone who has only lived in the US appreciates free speech, having never actually experienced itsí absence.

What do you appreciate due to experiencing its absence?

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Not too long after college I felt the absence of a false sense of superiority, wish I could have it back
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Childhood. Growing up everyone wanted to be older. Then when we're older we want to be children again. It seems like regardless of the situation childhood is always viewed in a romantic light.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Time. I find it amazing that you just want to do nothing for a bit once you start your life, have kids, etc.

I can remember in college when I used to go for a run, get home and just sit in a chair outside for an hour or two....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    They say you never really appreciate what you have until you no longer have it. Something simple like breathing that normally occupies no attention whatsoever suddenly assumes immense importance if one is sick and experiencing respiratory difficulty while struggling for each and every breath. Many folks don’t discover what was good about (even supposedly bad) relationships until the relationship ends. A person who grows up in a well-to-do family is only going to understand the pains and pressures of poverty on an intellectual plane, in much the same way that someone who has only lived in the US appreciates free speech, having never actually experienced its’ absence.

What do you appreciate due to experiencing its absence?
    Electricity. We had a power failure one evening back in January for about 3 hours which reminded me of how we take power for granted.
    • No light (I had my trusty oil lamps and candles, but it's not the same).
    • No heat (thermostat, electric ignition, blower don't work).
    • No stove (I have electric).
    • Have to keep the refrigerator closed -- and it's hard to find stuff in the dark -- because you don't know how long the outage will be.
    • The garage door opener didn't work (I had to shovel out the side door to the garage and disengage the garage door before I could get the car out.
    • No TV, no internet, no phone (I have internet phone).

In a general area-wide power loss (we had one of those in 2008):
    • No traffic signals.
    • No water pressure (unless there are generators to run the power station pumps).
    • No sewer (flushing toilets take water pressure).
    • No cell phones. Land lines might not work.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS experience relevance
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Feb 2010, 12:14 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Oct 2008, 9:57 AM
  3. Experience before Masters?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 07 Dec 2006, 3:55 PM