Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: McGill or Penn?

Registered
    Apr 2011

McGill or Penn?

I'm looking to study urban design and transportation planning, and I've narrowed my decision down to McGill and Penn. My French is good enough to get me through Montreal (and hopefully soon will be good enough to work and study elsewhere in the city), so that shouldn't be an issue. My big concerns are as follows:

-Job opportunities (how easy is it to get a planning/design job in the US with a McGill MUP degree? Is it easy to get jobs or internships in Montreal while you're there?)
    -Alumni network
    -Resources within the schools (can you get funding from the university when you need it for things like school-related trips? Are there enough basic things like computer labs that are easily accessible?)
    -Class size (is it better to be in a class of 70 at Penn, or 20 at McGill?)
    -Course content (From visiting Penn, it seemed like Urban Design in particular was very studio-focused, but you ended up being able to directly compete with landscape architects in the professional world. Is that the case at McGill?)
    -Further degrees (how will American schools feel about a PhD applicant from McGill versus one from Penn, assuming the two are otherwise identical?)

Thanks for your advice!

Registered
    Apr 2011
    I would also like to know more about McGill...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Er...no.

I don't care what the faculty told you. You are not going to compete directly with MLA students in the employment rat race. They will have had three years of intense studios versus a couple of courses here and there as with a MCP student.

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Moynihan, finally what did you decide to do? I am also in between those two universities and I have no idea what to do...

Thank you for all the info you can give me

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: McGill McGill MUP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Jan 2013, 3:19 PM
  2. McGill vs. Dalhousie
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Apr 2011, 3:35 PM
  3. Replies: 1