Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 2011-2012 Open House Report

Registered
    Mar 2011

2011-2012 Open House Report

Greetings all...

First-time poster here. Stole this idea from one of last year's threads, but being that everyone's open houses/admitted students' day events are approaching I figured there could be one thread where everyone posts their opinions of the various programs/events?

I know USCs Deans Merit event was yesterday, so maybe we can start there...?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    This is a great thread idea. I'm unable to go to the Open Houses because of work, so I would greatly appreciate people's thoughts for those who did go. I'm especially interested in UPenn's happening today.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    I was at UPenn today and I think I'm sold despite the ridiculous tuition cost. Philadelphia as a laboratory for practical planning application is too awesome of an opportunity.

I was at Penn as well. I was surprised by how design-oriented it is. If you are not into design at all, then I definitely do not recommend Penn. It was also a perfectly beautiful day outside - Philadelphia is not that nice normally, so I bet a lot of people will be sold on the school based on the gorgeous weather we had yesterday.

Good luck to you all!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    I was at Penn too. Just submitted my deposit. I am not into design (although who knows what my interests will be in 2 years) but they did a good job of making the point that in terms of getting a practical education in planning, Penn seems hard to beat... and if you are getting a masters in planning (regardless of your post masters ambitions) it seems like the point is to leave with a practical skill set that will allow you to shape the world in some way.

Additionally, I am from the Philly area, so the weather, while nice, had little to do with my decision.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for posting about Penn's open house. Did they mention career opportunities or placement rates for their students? For those who did decide on Penn, what was the main draw that finally convinced you?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006

I was at MIT's

MIT's open house was packed with info sessions, activities and schmooze time with faculty and current students. There's too much to summarize here in a post, so if anyone has particular questions, feel free to post them here or PM me.

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Is anyone going to the PSU Open Day? I canít make it, but would be interested to know what people think of it.

Iíve been offered places at PSU and Rutgers, and am still waiting on McGill, so any advice on what they are like would be helpful.

I'll be there at the PSU Open House.

If anyone is going to Harvard's open house, I would greatly appreciate any information you can share.

PSU

Would anyone who went to PSU's open house care to share their impressions of the program?

Registered
    Mar 2011

Minnesota Humphrey

If anyone was able to go to the Humphrey Open House, I'd love to hear about it. I wasn't able to go, but am seriously considering their program. I'm interested in community and economic development, if that helps.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by RS2011 View post
    If anyone was able to go to the Humphrey Open House, I'd love to hear about it. I wasn't able to go, but am seriously considering their program. I'm interested in community and economic development, if that helps.
    I was at the Humphrey Open House! It was basically a lot of info + schmoozing, as others have mentioned. A couple of things stood out:

- Everybody was so nice. I'm not sure if it was just the general Minnesota nice (I'm from out of state), but the directors and graduate office definitely went above and beyond to not only make everyone feel welcomed, but comfortable.

- A lot of people were concerned about financial aid, and it looks like there are tons of opportunities out there. Even if you didn't get offered a package initially, RAships and plentiful within all the different research centers on campus. Current students confirmed this as well - many of them secured RAships a few months after starting the semester.

- At one point, we sat in on some planning/policy classes. I've sat in on a few before at other institutions, but Humphrey's stood out because it was so...relaxed. It seriously felt just like a group of people talking. I don't get a sense that the MURPs here are cutthroat at all - it's definitely really collaborative.

- Related, it's really easy (and encouraged) to take classes outside of the Humphrey as well--most people add in a few from the business school/law school/etc.

- Because the biggest program at the Humphrey is the MPP, MURPs form their own sort of...thing. There seems to be a big focus on social activities, and other opportunities to get to know your fellow MURPs.

I'm sold on their program and have made my official decision. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Aphotus View post
    If anyone is going to Harvard's open house, I would greatly appreciate any information you can share.
    I was at Harvard's and liked it more than I expected. I'll send you a PM with my thoughts.

Registered
    Mar 2011

Minnesota

Thanks quietsilver - That's really helpful. Glad you have a positive experience! My final decision will probably go down to the wire, but sounds like a community I might like.

Quote Originally posted by sunsetskylines View post
    I was at Harvard's and liked it more than I expected. I'll send you a PM with my thoughts.
    Thank you, that would be greatly appreciated!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 28
    Last post: 04 May 2012, 9:59 AM
  2. 2011-2012 Season
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 17 Aug 2011, 7:10 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 08 Apr 2011, 6:13 PM
  4. 2011-2012 graduate programs
    Student Commons