Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Would I qualify to take the AICP next year?

Registered
    Feb 2011

Would I qualify to take the AICP next year?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to determine my eligibility for the AICP certification. I was curious if a combination of professional experience and education would qualify. I'm going for my Master's part-time for an MPA in Urban and Regional Planning and working full-time as a Community Planner. I've been planning professionally for 2.5 years (3 years at the end of 2011), I have a 10 mos. experience as a planning intern, and will have 2 years of a Master's under my belt, slated to finish Summer 2012. (My undergrad is not an accredited planning degree - B.A. Geography).

I was wondering with 3 years exp, 2 years Masters, 10 mos. Interning would qualify for either the 3 yr or 4 yr requirement for 2012 testing. Or shall I just wait for 2013 when I have 4 years and a completed Masters.

Many thanks for your opinions.

-Joe

Registered
    Feb 2007
    APA is strict on their eligibility. Please see the link below.
    http://www.planning.org/certification/eligible.htm
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Yeah, I understand I currently fall in the 4 year category, and I guess after I finish my Masters next year I'll fall under the 3 year category, I was wondering if I could combo my experience and degree (uncompleted) if I'd qualify for the May examination of 2012. Either or it looks like I may be able to qualify for the November 2012 exams at the earliest without being allowed to combo incomplete education and professional experience.

Edit: Well I guess it does say "have completed" by submission. I guess I overheard somewhere that if you combine education and experience and whether or not internships are counted you could reach the eligibility requirements quicker.

Thanks for the response!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Workodactyl View post
    Yeah, I understand I currently fall in the 4 year category, and I guess after I finish my Masters next year I'll fall under the 3 year category, I was wondering if I could combo my experience and degree (uncompleted) if I'd qualify for the May examination of 2012. Either or it looks like I may be able to qualify for the November 2012 exams at the earliest without being allowed to combo incomplete education and professional experience.
    No. They do not allow a combo of incomplete education. You are required to send a transcript with your application, which proves you graduated with a degree, and your internship does not count either. Again, they are very strict about what counts as work experience and education. Any Idiot Can Plan, but I guess you have to go through the filter first.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    No. They do not allow a combo of incomplete education. You are required to send a transcript with your application, which proves you graduated with a degree, and your internship does not count either. Again, they are very strict about what counts as work experience and education. Any Idiot Can Plan, but I guess you have to go through the filter first.
    Duly noted, thanks again.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Is your graduate degree accredited by the PAB? Is this an MUP or an MPA? You would need four years of FULL TIME PLANNING experience to apply for the exam if you have a NON-PLANNING graduate degree (3 years for a PAB accredited graduate PLANNING degree). I am not 100% sure there are any PAB accredited MPAs. When you say "the end of 2011" what is the exact date? AICP will round to the nearest full month to determine eligibility.

Internships are eligible for partial planning experience provided they meet all four criteria. AICP holds internships to greater scrutiny. Since it takes 6 weeks (10-12 weeks in reality) to hear back on a yes/no with only a 3 day appeal by fax, I would leave off the internship on your application unless you are 200% sure that internship could have as much weight as your full time job. Assuming you will have four years of full time experience by the end of 2012, you would be eligible to apply for the following 2013 exam cycle.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Is your graduate degree accredited by the PAB? Is this an MUP or an MPA? You would need four years of FULL TIME PLANNING experience to apply for the exam if you have a NON-PLANNING graduate degree (3 years for a PAB accredited graduate PLANNING degree). I am not 100% sure there are any PAB accredited MPAs. When you say "the end of 2011" what is the exact date? AICP will round to the nearest full month to determine eligibility.

Internships are eligible for partial planning experience provided they meet all four criteria. AICP holds internships to greater scrutiny. Since it takes 6 weeks (10-12 weeks in reality) to hear back on a yes/no with only a 3 day appeal by fax, I would leave off the internship on your application unless you are 200% sure that internship could have as much weight as your full time job. Assuming you will have four years of full time experience by the end of 2012, you would be eligible to apply for the following 2013 exam cycle.
    The graduate degree is not accredited by the PAB. It is an MPA, but the majority of coursework is in Urban and Regional Planning. I was thinking this may apply as a graduate planning degree.

Also, I believe the website details that an accredited graduate degree requires 2* years experience to qualify for the exam and a non accredited graduate degree in planning requires 3 years experience to qualify (which is the same requirement for a PAB accredited bachelors degree). 4 years experience for all other degrees non planning related.

I guess I just have to hope that my MPA certified in Urban and Regional Planning counts as graduate degree in planning by the panel, which will determine whether I need 3 years or 4 years experience.

First Monday of November will be 3 years in 2011. I should have my graduate degree conferred the summer of 2012, Probably the month of July if they walk in the summer.

In regards to the internship, they were both planning intensive with two planning departments, but I don't mind keeping them off the record to avoid scrutiny.

But in the end, it looks like 2013 at my earliest.

Thanks for the response and I appreciate your sig!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    An MPA is a Masters in Public Administration. There are plenty of related fields (economics, geography, MPA, etc.) that may include planning coursework or a even a planning specialization. However, the degree itself is an MPA, not a planning degree (in the eyes of PAB and AICP). I would either contact the Planning Accreditation Board or the National Association for Collegiate Schools in Planning to find out if your MPA would be considered as a non-accredited planning graduate degree.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    An MPA is a Masters in Public Administration. There are plenty of related fields (economics, geography, MPA, etc.) that may include planning coursework or a even a planning specialization. However, the degree itself is an MPA, not a planning degree (in the eyes of PAB and AICP). I would either contact the Planning Accreditation Board or the National Association for Collegiate Schools in Planning to find out if your MPA would be considered as a non-accredited planning graduate degree.
    That's a great idea. I'll have to do that shortly and report back for anyone else that may be concerned.

Thanks for the tip!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What year did you get your AICP ?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 29 Mar 2011, 3:45 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 01 Nov 2010, 7:01 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 1:46 PM
  4. Replies: 39