Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: European Union commission urges banning petroleum-powered cars from its cities by 2050

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009

European Union commission urges banning petroleum-powered cars from its cities by 2050

http://newurbannetwork.com/article/k...on-urges-14401

Use of automobiles powered by gasoline or diesel fuel would be cut in half by 2030 in urban areas, and would be phased out altogether in cities by 2050.

Thirty percent of the road freight traveling more than 300 kilometers (186 miles) would shift to other modes basically rail or water by 2030. By the middle of the century, more than 50 percent of the road traffic traveling that 186 miles or more would shift to the alternative modes, aided by the development of "efficient and green freight corridors."

The current high-speed rail network would triple in length by 2030, and "a dense railway network" would operate in all of the EU's member states. By 2050, a high-speed rail network for Europe would be completed, and the majority of medium-distance passengers would travel by rail.

Except for long hauls (of which there would be many), there would be far fewer passengers traveling in Europe by air. And the use of "low-carbon sustainable fuels in aviation" would rise to 40 percent by 2050. By that time, the plan also envisions that all "core network airports" would be connected to the rail network preferably to high-speed rail.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I think you should move to Europe so you can live happily in a car-less society.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    I think you should move to Europe so you can live happily in a car-less society.
    Did I hit a nerve?

Don't worry. People like yourself I'm sure will be here to make sure the oil companies never go out of business.

It should be noted that the E.U. plan only bans cars that run on gasoline and Diesel fuel.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Pragmatic Idealist View post
    Did I hit a nerve?

Don't worry. People like yourself I'm sure will be here to make sure the oil companies never go out of business.

It should be noted that the E.U. plan only bans cars that run on gasoline and Diesel fuel.
    Seriously are you a student? How the heck is the EU going to pay for the upgraded infrastructure? More bond funding?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Seriously are you a student? How the heck is the EU going to pay for the upgraded infrastructure? More bond funding?
    Come on everyone knows the EU is loaded! Maybe they can get Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain (PIIGS) to loan it to them!
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; 12 Apr 2011 at 4:24 PM.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Did I hit a nerve?

If you mean, are you annoying, then yeah, you are annoying.

Am I worried that your car-phobia will spread? No, I'm not. Notice that the US still uses quarts instead of liters and yards instead of meters. Moreover, you might want to check out the popularity of NASCAR. Even Cali has a couple of races.

I suspect that when you finally grow up, you'll find the joys of carlessness start to pale with the second toddler.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    If you mean, are you annoying, then yeah, you are annoying.

Am I worried that your car-phobia will spread? No, I'm not. Notice that the US still uses quarts instead of liters and yards instead of meters. Moreover, you might want to check out the popularity of NASCAR. Even Cali has a couple of races.

I suspect that when you finally grow up, you'll find the joys of carlessness start to pale with the second toddler.
    The irrational fears seem entirely one-sided, my dear.

I'm plotting forcing you and your brood into a shoebox apartment above a bar and a drug store next to my high-speed rail station. So, stay paranoid. It suits you.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Moderator note:
    No more personal attacks or the thread gets closed.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    While this executive-level commission of the European Union proposes a few big-ticket investments (with a goal of maintaining Europe's competitive advantages in transport infrastructure), many modest improvements can be made right now to swiftly move the continent towards this goal. And, 2050 provides plenty of time for all the world's cities to eliminate petroleum-fueled cars.

Would anyone like to offer constructive ideas that actually attempt to benefit society and that provide real energy security?

Roadmap to a Single European Transport Area (PDF): http://ec.europa.eu/transport/strate...%29_144_en.pdf

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    How the heck is the EU going to pay for the upgraded infrastructure? More bond funding?
    The white paper discusses financing, which includes bonds.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The white paper discusses financing, which includes bonds.
    Bonds are mentioned once in your white paper along with PPPs. Are you suggesting privatizing the entire roadway network as well?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Jun 2010, 11:37 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Nov 2008, 7:19 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last post: 28 Jan 2005, 4:17 PM
  4. Major metros 2050
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 16 Jun 2003, 4:40 PM