Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How to get moved?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004

How to get moved?

Okay, right now we're having this bit of panic.
    Accepted to a program (u.new orleans phd) in the fall. Have to, obviously, get moved down before that. More urgently as our lease HERE runs out at the end of April, and my wife has work in New Orleans that expects her to arrive in mid-May; might be able to flex that a little, but she isn't going to be able to work effectively in the interim, nor can I.
    We have a place to crash here for a bit, but we CANNOT be homeless when we arrive in New Orleans.
    I'm MOVING, so I don't get to keep my job, it's local. My wife's income alone isn't enough for the minimum 3x rent that the apartments are asking for. I start school in fall, not summer.

So how can we get settled in there so I can find summer work and get ready for fall?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JusticeZero View post

So how can we get settled in there so I can find summer work and get ready for fall?
    Umm.. find a job there now. Duh. Seriously, find a job. Anything. You can't get a co-signer to the lease either? Find out if they accept that. Did i mention get a job?
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Maybe UNO can give you a letter or reference? Or you could ask one of the professors if they know of any summer internships.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Check with the university to see if they possibly have housing available even if it's just on a month-to-month basis. I know many schools have specific housing available for TA's and married PhD/Graduate students.

Will you be getting a stipend from the university for the PhD program? Maybe there is still some room for negotiation in that as to when you start receiving that stipend or that they can provide short-term housing in lieu of if.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 14 Jan 2010, 4:04 PM
  2. Has Detroit moved?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Apr 2008, 9:00 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last post: 28 Sep 2006, 5:04 PM
  4. The earth moved for me
    Friday Afternoon Club