Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MLA Southern California

MLA Southern California

Hello everyone,

I have an undergrad degree in Urban Studies and Planning and have decided to pursue a graduate degree in Landscape Architecture. For a variety of reasons I need to stay here, so the options for schools are limited.

I've been accepted to USC with the standard graduate merit scholarship and also Cal Poly Pomona. I haven't heard much about the USC program but would prefer to go there if it's comparable to the CPP, which I know more about.

Anyone with some insight on the two schools? Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    I think that overall the School of Architecture at USC is considered a bit more prestigious (i.e. Thom Mayne and Frank Gehry are alums) than Cal Poly Pomona; however, the MLA program at USC is still fairly new. I would chat with the current students, alumni, and the career services offices at each school to get a feel for the structure of the program, internship placements, and where recent grads are working. Go with the one that most closely aligns with your interests.

In researching pomona's murp degree I ran into a few people who said their mla program has generally been considered the best one around for decades. At the very least it is very highly regarded by people in the public and non-profit sector.

Registered
    May 2010
    BLUEOCEAN,

What % of tuition is USC paying for with the merit scolarship? And, what kind of financial aid is Pomona offering you?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. southern california
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 Nov 2010, 11:37 AM
  2. Hi from Southern California
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Oct 2008, 8:10 PM
  3. hi from southern california
    Introduce Yourself