Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Grant funded positions and job security

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011

Grant funded positions and job security

I'm being considered for a time-limited, grant-funded position, and while I think I have a good shot at getting the job I'm concerned about job security. I don't know if the grant can/will be renewed, or if the agency will have permenant positions available once the grant expires. If I get the job I assume that I could use the time to do a lot of professional development and networking in the hopes that I can get myself into something else once the position ends. However, I'm nervous about making that committment. If you've held this type of position before, or worked with someone who has, what was your experience?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    It is scary, very scary for last four months. I know a job is a job, especially in this era. But I would not relocate a family for a one year gig. If there is no family or there is no relocation--go for it. Also consider it if it is for two years or more.

My Greensburg experience did not involve relocation. It was a one year grant with a one year extension, then another couple of months with local funding. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Do you have any other offers? Something is better than nothing.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    No other offers or genuine leads, and this would require relocation of my family (we're trying to move to be closer to our extended family). Difficult decisions...

I would be very cautious about moving my family for a temporary job. What you sacrifice in stability and network could far outweigh the benefits of the temporary income.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Grant funded positions should be considered good only as long as the grant funds are available. I was in a similar position 16 years ago. I accepted a position funded for one year, and during my tenure was able to find additional funds to continue it a second year. Beyond that there was no prospect of continuing. Fortunately I was able to move to another job at that time.

If this job takes you to a city where you want to live, there are other job prospects there, and you will have an opportunity to network extensively it can be worth it. If you are not working now and you have the prospect of good employment, even if only for a year, it might be worth it. If it is likely that you will move now and then have to move again in a year, you might hesitate.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by chocolatechip View post
    I would be very cautious about moving my family for a temporary job. What you sacrifice in stability and network could far outweigh the benefits of the temporary income.
    Agreed. Kids, no way.

Spousal unit/equivalent with cr*ppy job but prospects in new place and no kids, maybe. Sick of this dang city and Spousal Equivalent is too and ready for a change? OK.

This is how it will be in our country for a growing number of people - especially the knowledge workers.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I know some people in grant funded positions. Basically the grant funding is used to circumvent a hiring freeze by the county. If the hiring freeze is ended before the grant funding runs out, they'll move into permanent positions; otherwise they'll probably be let go. The people funded by the grant are expecting to be hired in the end but there's no guarantee.

I'm sure job security with grants depends greatly on the agency and what you're working on. It could definitely lead to some other opportunities down the road. So depending on how long they intend to fund you, it might be worth doing.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Privately funded mass transit?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 14 Mar 2008, 10:22 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Feb 2008, 3:34 PM
  3. Positions in GIS
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Aug 2007, 3:54 PM
  4. Free speech in Publicly funded - Private space.
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Oct 2002, 11:44 AM
  5. How should NU common areas be funded?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Jul 2000, 11:17 PM