Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Plan Commission Training

Plan Commission Training

I work for the Village of DeForest located in fast growing Dane County, Wisconsin. We have a great many complicated development issues facing us and a citizen plan commission which needs training to tackle these issues. Anyone know of a good video training package?

The area has approx. 12,000 population and is projected at almost 20,000 by the year 2020. We need to have the informatation available to make good decisions based on the impacts of development.

I appreciate any help you can give.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Not a video, but I would encourage you to get your Commissioners subscriptions to the Planning Commissioners Journal. Our Commissioners have found it very useful. http://www.plannersweb.com/
    It's not expensive if you have copies for all delivered to one address.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Washington State has an interesting program that while not available in your state you may be able to create for yourself. The state organizes a program where they get 2 professional planners from other communities and 1 lawyer to volunteer their time for an evening workshop. They then talk about current and long range planning and the law related parts of the job like quasi-judicial decisions. They also try to find out from the local planner if there are any areas that should be emphasized.

The program there appears to work quite well and has been being run by the state Department of Community Trade and Economic Development for quite some time.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Jan 2010, 11:48 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 11:02 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 29 Mar 2006, 5:42 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Sep 2003, 2:43 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Jun 2003, 1:12 PM