Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Change of heart: unsure of what to do

Registered
    Mar 2011

Change of heart: unsure of what to do

So, I've accepted an offer to a Masters program for this fall. However, now I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't go. My reasoning:

- I do enjoy the more hands on type of work related to planning (working with the software programs and working out the actual designs, etc.) rather than writing reports or documents.
    - If I seek out a different position with more planning work, then I could in turn work towards getting certification (be it through CACPT, CIP, OPPI), may take longer however more real-world experience.
    - Full-time studies means unable to have job, aka I've gotten used to a full-time income and I'd hate to see that go.
    - Most schools hold information on record for one year, if I do genuinely want to pursue my Masters I can apply next year (perhaps getting into the schools I actually wanted to). As I know that I did apply because I was frustrated with work and I hadn't been able to find another job at the time of applications being due.
    - Finances wise: I received zero funding/schloarships from the school and there's no guarantee of a TAship. Also, I haven't been able to save up as much, therefore would have to work twice as hard (part-time) during school year to cover costs.
    - Masters degree doesn't necessarily lead to a better job or income. On that note, I could always pursue the PLAD/PLAB programs at Ryerson as I already have a BA as well as a dipolma from Fanshawe. Same amount of work and timeline, and I feel that it would lead to the same career path, just less thesis-writing (which I loath!)

Anywho, has anyone else out there been in a similar situation?? Or any advise?? It's getting down to the wire in terms of deciding to go and taking the necessary steps to get moved. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

PS. I do know most people will say its a great opportunity that I'd be passing on (I am very aware of that!).

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Oh, I have been working for the last couple years at an engineering firm where I've had the opportunity to work on land development plans, etc...so it's not like I've been employed completely out of the field. So, I do have work experience under my belt. Maybe I'm just suffering from first job-entry level woes!!! And need to just work at looking for other jobs (Planning Tech, etc.), rather than go back to school

Good grief, I was hoping Canada might have a stronger market considering the public investments they do up there vs. the nothing but cuts USA.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    I'm in a similar position as you in terms of career path it seems.

I had a lot of sleepless nights thinking whether going to grad school made sense since I have been working in the field and have a good steady income for the last 3+ years. Similar to you, I will be paying for grad school out of my own pocket for the most part and I will be sacrificing 2 years of salary, but you have to look at it in the perspective of long term goals.

A Masters degree doesn't always lead to a better job or income, but a Masters degree plus your work experience will look pretty good to employers down the road, especially for positions that are higher than entry-level.

If you are young and single, I say go for it, because you will probably regret it 10-15 years down the line when you are married and have kids and you can't do it anymore.

But if your heart isn't in it, then you might have already made your decision.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Hello. I'm in the same position. Unfunded offer but I realize that no matter what, I do need a Masters degree to be competitive.

Last night was one of those sleepless nights for me. I thoughts that I was subpar for not getting funding and that I was making a big mistake.

But I agree that it's best to get the degree while were still young and single. Good luck to everyone.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Teen heart throbs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Feb 2011, 9:35 PM
  2. Heart vs. head: choosing between two jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Feb 2009, 9:03 PM
  3. Home is where the heart is
    Friday Afternoon Club