So, I've accepted an offer to a Masters program for this fall. However, now I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't go. My reasoning:
- I do enjoy the more hands on type of work related to planning (working with the software programs and working out the actual designs, etc.) rather than writing reports or documents.
- If I seek out a different position with more planning work, then I could in turn work towards getting certification (be it through CACPT, CIP, OPPI), may take longer however more real-world experience.
- Full-time studies means unable to have job, aka I've gotten used to a full-time income and I'd hate to see that go.
- Most schools hold information on record for one year, if I do genuinely want to pursue my Masters I can apply next year (perhaps getting into the schools I actually wanted to). As I know that I did apply because I was frustrated with work and I hadn't been able to find another job at the time of applications being due.
- Finances wise: I received zero funding/schloarships from the school and there's no guarantee of a TAship. Also, I haven't been able to save up as much, therefore would have to work twice as hard (part-time) during school year to cover costs.
- Masters degree doesn't necessarily lead to a better job or income. On that note, I could always pursue the PLAD/PLAB programs at Ryerson as I already have a BA as well as a dipolma from Fanshawe. Same amount of work and timeline, and I feel that it would lead to the same career path, just less thesis-writing (which I loath!)
Anywho, has anyone else out there been in a similar situation?? Or any advise?? It's getting down to the wire in terms of deciding to go and taking the necessary steps to get moved. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
PS. I do know most people will say its a great opportunity that I'd be passing on (I am very aware of that!).