Urban planning community

Poll results: When do you usually take down your holiday decorations?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • as soon as humanly possible after Dec. 25th

1 3.57%
  • shortly after New Years day

7 25.00%
  • lights off immediately after New Years, lights physically removed as soon as weather permits

6 21.43%
  • definitely after spring thaw

4 14.29%
  • leave lights up year round, but only turn on during December

0 0%
  • 'O Holy Night' can be heard blaring from my speakers at night in August

0 0%
  • Xmas decorations? Bah humbug!!

6 21.43%
  • Xmas decorations? Shalom/Salaam mofo!

1 3.57%
  • Why do you hate Christmas?

1 3.57%
  • other (explain below)

2 7.14%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taking down the decorations

Registered
    Feb 2004

Taking down the decorations

There are some cynical folks in this world that might conclude my neighbor is nothing but a lazy no-good piece of redneck 'Trash, simply because it's April 18th and his non-synchronized flashing Christmas light display is still going strong. I, on the other hand, prefer to think he has left his holiday decorations up this long because he truly enjoys basking in the glow that comes with contemplating the birth of our Savior, and the lights serve as a continuous reminder to us all of that spiritual truth. One can't wish their fellow man too much good now, can they? Of course not.

So, when do you typically take down your holiday decorations? Take the poll!

Do you put up any sort of outdoor decorations for any other holidays? Which ones?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    As one of the resident curmudgeons - Bah Humbug !

Haven't spent any money buying any,
    Don't spend any money paying the extra electric bill,
    Usually not home for week & half,
    Don't have any extra storage space for all that cr@p,
    Don't have any family to please / make happy,
    and besides it is cheaper to enjoy others efforts.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I voted "Bah! Humbug!" Can't take 'em down if you don't put 'em up. We completely skipped Christmas last year. I sort of liked it, but it would have been better if we had been on a tropical beach. A temperate rain forest beach just isn't the same.
    Off-topic:
    Where's my rain cloud smiley?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I voted for lights off after New Years, decorations down when weather permits but I really keep turning the lights on until January 6th generally (Fest of the Epiphany) and then they are off for good.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2007
    They come down the first weekend (or the first weekend I have available to devote the time to) after January 6 (the Epiphany, the "12th Day of Christmas").

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We normally take them down shortly thereafter New Year's. This year the weather was hit and miss and I was lazy so we waited a bit longer. The sad part is a pile of the lights are still sitting on our back porch waiting to be carried inside and put away. I walk by them everyday and think to myself, "Man, I can't believe I haven't put them away yet. That's pretty lazy." And then keep walking.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    We're pretty inconsistent on whether we actually get the outside decorations up in any given year, but if we do, they stay up until the weekend after Epiphany (weather permitting).
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004

ha ha ha.....

I just last week chopped up my Christmas tree.....saved it for camp fire wood, but had to let it dry out.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I leave my redneck christmas decorations up to just after new years. It's never really cold here, so the weather isn't a problem.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We used to put up an artificial-but-attractive tree with all the trimmings inside and the Christmas lights outside, but we haven't done it in quite a few years. I think there was one holiday season when my husband was in a "bah humbug" sort of mood and decided he wanted to skip all the hoopla... and for some reason, we've never gone back to decorating for the holidays.

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    The sad part is a pile of the lights are still sitting on our back porch waiting to be carried inside and put away. I walk by them everyday and think to myself, "Man, I can't believe I haven't put them away yet. That's pretty lazy." And then keep walking.
    Yep, that's how we've ended up with a tangled %*(#$ of Christmas lights in the past. Hmm, maybe that's the real reason we stopped putting lights up!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Bah!

This Bear punched through the chad for Bah Humbug. I don't do decorations. Now, get off my freakin' lawn and stop asking stoopid questions.

Bear

Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The inside decorations are almost always taken down during the first few weeks of January.

I usually try to take down the outside decorations in January as well. Outside lights definitely are turned off and/or unplugged immediately after New Years. Usually, I try to take the lights down when it's reasonably nice out...maybe sunny and 40?...or a day that simply has light winds. That's not always possible though and sometimes I have to brave colder weather or postpone taking the lights down a little longer than I wanted to. Usually, I will opt to brave colder weather as opposed to waiting, especially since lights are a lot easier to take down than they are to put up. This past Christmas, I actually took the lights down on New Years Eve, or maybe the day before, because it was so nice (around 50 or so), and I knew I wouldn't get a better opportunity than that.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My wife and I were out on a walk through the neighborhood last weekend and I pointed out a house to my wife with a tree out front decorated with hanging Easter eggs and noted how nice it looked with all of their daffodils blooming below it. Upon closer inspection, she corrected me and told me they were actually leftover Christmas decorations hanging from the branches.

The moral of the story is that if you leave them up long enough, they become decorations for something else. If you leave your lights up long enough, they will work perfectly for the 4th of July or Diwali!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Um. It's april. If it ain't down, your just lazy.

and why do you hate america?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Our come down the first weeknd after Christmas - primarily because Mrs. P doesn't want tthe tree to drop any more needles. So since the storage boxes are down, I take down the minimal decorations on the house too.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I had a friend who kept the twinkle Xmas lights in his window all the time. When he was, uh, entertaining, he would turn the lights on.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I had a friend who kept the twinkle Xmas lights in his window all the time. When he was, uh, entertaining, he would turn the lights on.
    Are we talking about the lights in his, uh, bedroom window?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The festivus decorations stay up all year.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Are we past the expiration date for x-mas/holiday displays at this point? If not how much longer? 1 week, 2 weeks?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Are we past the expiration date for x-mas/holiday displays at this point? If not how much longer? 1 week, 2 weeks?
    Yes. My mother is keeping hers up until January 20th when my brother comes back from Georgia (the country).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Next year we will follow the Catholic church teachings. Turn lights on on December 2nd. (put everything up on the 1st) and take down on January 6th at the conclusion of the liturgical Christmas season.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Christmas runs from October 19th through the first weekend of January. Decorations can stay up anytime between those dates. If you keep them up after or before that is just trashy.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I usually get the outside lights up sometime Thanksgiving weekend, but I was a few days late this year due to rainy weather. They come down New Years Day (but I was a day late this year). I don't do much outside, just string colored mini-lights across the hedges out front, so it doesn't take long on either end.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've taken no decorations down yet
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The X-mas tree got tossed this past weekend

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 13 Dec 2006, 6:58 PM
  2. Christmas Decorations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Nov 2005, 10:27 PM