Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: New (returning!) member from Hawaii

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2011

New (returning!) member from Hawaii

Hello all,
    I once participated a long time ago while completing my Master's degree in Urban & Regional Planning at the University of Hawaii - so I guess I'm more "new" in this situation. Have spent the last two decades working in philanthropic/non-profit/NGO field - and have just begun work on a research project in the College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources at the University of Hawaii. My project is researching social and economic impacts of the development of small hydropower on the island of Hawaii. Specifically, looking at a model project where a "family of farms" will use hydro to allow for expansion of cold storage of fresh produce - later may include other ag products. May provide a model for other small hydro projects on the island(s).

Have background in exercise physiology prior to Urban Planning, definitely interested in following threads such as "Healthy Community Planning" and "Obesity and the Built Environment" - would like to explore planning issues as they relate to promotion of sustainable, local agriculture.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!

I used to live in Hawaii, and went to high school across the street from UH. Welcome (back) to the fold!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from New York! I would love to be in Hawaii right about now, we're still waiting for Spring to commit to being here.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    E komo mai MCasey!

It is a pleasure to have another Hawaii-based Cyburbian contributing to the threads. Your Big Island project sounds very interesting! Have you already found participants for your model? I lived in Hilo for three years prior to returning to the mainland for my master's and then moving to Honolulu where I work as an environmental/community planner. In Hilo, I worked at the USDA Pacific Basin Agricultural Research Center as a research tech on pest control issues. It was a very interesting experience. As you might have already gathered, local agriculture is something I'm very interested in.

Welcome to Cyburbia!
    A hui hou

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome from downeast Maine!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2011

Mahalo!

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Your Big Island project sounds very interesting! Have you already found participants for your model?
    My apologies for not seeing these posts sooner - still new to navigating in this cyburbia world - I appreciate the welcomes from all!

TerraSapient, the Big Island project is small part of a much larger project based at CTAHR on the UH-Manoa campus. I'll be working with a farm that will be subleasing some of its' land to small farmers who will plant new crops/increase their production of existing crops. My job will be looking at the "Socieoeconomic impacts" of the project - more specifically trying to document impacts on the surrounding community - some set of "quality of life" measurement that is still being debated/formulated. I believe that the biggest DIRECT impacts will be to the farms/farmers involved as opposed to the nearby residents. Looks like minimal environmental impacts as the technology is small and "run of the river" - not creating anything new like a holding dam.

Sounds like County of Hawaii is already taking a look at potential for small hydropower in a number of locations throughout the Hamakua district - they are in the process of reviewing/revising CDPs for all their sub-districts. I'm brand new to the project, and still getting up to speed - but will definitely start a new thread at some point.

And, of course the controversies around biofuels are just starting to heat up over there.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hawaii - What to see
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 20 Mar 2014, 10:26 AM
  2. Would-be from Hawaii
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 05 Aug 2007, 9:09 PM
  3. Returning Member
    Introduce Yourself