Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Musings and Observations Regarding General Office Bureaucracy

Registered
    Dec 2010

Musings and Observations Regarding General Office Bureaucracy

I hadn't realized until today a very odd policy our bldg. department uses. Because of the high number of people who have no idea what they're doing and no organizational skills, the city offers to look through its files for plot plans. However there is a charge of 20$/hr until someone from the city finds it. It's usually not that big of a deal because it shouldn't take more than 15-20 min. to find one. But I still had the *huh?* reaction. We could absolutely make up any time we like, maybe it just happened to take us a full day of grueling searching.

We are also discussing changing policies for temporary signs to try and reduce the traffic of applications. One strategy (which I find very amusing and therefore support) is to have standard fees for 15, 30, 45, etc. etc. day increments. But, when businesses start trying to get a 3 day permit (which is impossible to regulate), we will allow it but charge a ridiculously expensive fee.

Any other examples of office policies where you know people are just going to scratch their heads?
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Our FOIA procedures are pretty streamlined in terms of how quickly we can produce the requested materials, but there's frequently some gray areas when citizens come in with poorly worded or vague requests where some staff seems to exercise a certain amount of - shall we say...interpretation into what they think a requester was really asking for. I wish they wouldn't do that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 21 Nov 2010, 6:19 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 10 Dec 2009, 12:20 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Aug 2008, 4:47 PM
  4. Unions and Bureaucracy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 10 Mar 2003, 10:03 AM