Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs that can only be sung by one sex

Registered
    Aug 2001

Songs that can only be sung by one sex

I was listening to some live music a while back, when the musician, a guy, started to sing Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee." It occurred to me that there are some songs that men just should not sing. This is one of them. "I am woman (hear me roar)" and "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman" could safely be added to the list. There have to be more.

By the same token, it seems like women can get away with singing "male" songs, like Joni Mitchell singing "Free Man in Paris." Maybe it is a lesbian thing. Anyone have an explanation? Anyone want to add to the list?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    No guy should sing:

Im' every woman (W Huston)

No girl should sing
    She's every woman (Garth Brooks)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Respect It's just one of those songs where it seems that there's just no way a man could pull it off without sounding horrible. But, then again, I could be wrong because the the other day I heard a White Stripes cover of Dolly Parton's Joline ( "Joline, Joline, please don't take my man!" ) and it sounded really, really good.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Originally done by The Kinks, the song "Lola" should only be sung by....ahhhh, ahhhh.......errrr......never mind.

Bear Looking Down To Check & Make Sure

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not just one gender, there are a ton of songs that should only be sung by gays.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Shania Twain's Man I feel like a Woman strike me as one of these songs, even though I don't know the lyrics.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    "Take it Easy" Jackson Browne/Eagles; can only be sung by guys

Registered
    Nov 2004
    [RED STATER]
    Considering that lesbianism is cool and socially acceptable (as long as the chicks are hot)... and that male gayness is a scurge that must be irradicated from the face of the earth... I'd think that chicks can pretty much sing any song they want as long as they are hot.
    [/RED STATER]

Cause its ladies night, yes its ladies night......what you think I'm gonna do patty labelle or something...........oh yes its laies night........

Can a man sing........they just wanna they just wanna the just wanna........girls just want to have fun....

Any Cindy Lauper song Time after Time, True Colors

brown eyes blue

Double post not my fault somethings up witht the sight?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Joan Armatrading: "I love it when you call me names."

Registered
    Sep 2001
    No man should sing any song by Heart, can just picture that song about the surrogat efather being sung by a man (shudder).

No woman should sing any AC DC, KISS or Motorhead. Imagine Shania belting out "Giving the Dog a Bone".
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Tiptoeing through the Tulips by Tiny Tim

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I was listening to some live music a while back, when the musician, a guy, started to sing Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee." It occurred to me that there are some songs that men just should not sing. This is one of them. "I am woman (hear me roar)" and "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman" could safely be added to the list. There have to be more.

By the same token, it seems like women can get away with singing "male" songs, like Joni Mitchell singing "Free Man in Paris." Maybe it is a lesbian thing. Anyone have an explanation? Anyone want to add to the list?
    If memory serves, "Me and Bobby McGee" was written by a man - Kris Kristoffersen, I believe. He does a fairly good rendition of it, though Janis's version is the benchmark. I think Bobby is a name that both a man or woman could have, so either sex can pull it off. I think it was intended by the songwriter that "Bobby" was a girl, since "I was playing soft while Bobby sang the blues." Traditionally, at least in the '60s, the musician would have been the male and the singer would be the female.

I gues "Aqualung" is a song best sung by a man.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Breed
    [RED STATER]
    Considering that lesbianism is cool and socially acceptable (as long as the chicks are hot)... and that male gayness is a scurge that must be irradicated from the face of the earth... I'd think that chicks can pretty much sing any song they want as long as they are hot.
    [/RED STATER]
    LOL, yeah I'd like to see the dutch rugby team singing "Its Raining Men"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Genders aside... all Michael Jackson songs should only be sung by black fmales that bleached their skin to white and have fake noses and use umbrellas all the time.... that reduces the amount to... Michael Jackson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Hm, I think most men would never sing "Coin Operated Boy".
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The song to top all songs on the list, I present I am Woman from Helen Reddy

I am woman, hear me roar
    In numbers too big to ignore
    And I know too much to go back an' pretend
    'cause I've heard it all before
    And I've been down there on the floor
    No one's ever gonna keep me down again

Oh yes I am wise
    But it's wisdom born of pain
    Yes, I've paid the price
    But look how much I gained
    If I have to, I can do anything
    I am strong (strong)
    I am invincible (invincible)
    I am woman

[snip]

Almost all of Helen' Reddy's songs can be sung only by women, women you consider the subject theme.

It might be very difficult for men to sing any of the songs on this album, too. I wouldn't doubt that El Guapo has tried, though.

(from http://www.amazon.com)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    "I Spent My Last $10. 00 (On Birth Control and Beer)"

Priceless.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Girls songs:
    Bad to the Bone
    Cat Scratch Fever
    Fred Bear
    Mannish Boy
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2002

sextunes

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I was listening to some live music a while back, when the musician, a guy, started to sing Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee."
    Written and recorded by Kris (male) Kristopherson, assumededly about Roberta.

Quote Originally posted by Biscuit
    Respect It's just one of those songs where it seems that there's just no way a man could pull it off without sounding horrible.
    Originally recorded by Otis Redding. It sounds completely different but VERY good.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'm sure I've seen/heard a punk or metal version of "I am Woman", sung by a dude. It was pretty funny.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    Cause its ladies night, yes its ladies night......what you think I'm gonna do patty labelle or something...........oh yes its laies night........
    That song is by Kool and the Gang, a decidedly male act. They were singing about the joys of going to the clubs on nights when women can drink cheap.

Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    Can a man sing........they just wanna they just wanna the just wanna........girls just want to have fun....

Any Cindy Lauper song Time after Time, True Colors
    She Bop by Cyndi Lauper

Sharp Dressed Man (and pretty much everything else) by ZZ Top;
    Fanny (Be Tender With My Love) by the Bee Gees would sound really strange being sung by women;
    Interestingly, a lot of Prince's stuff is very gender-specific;

A lot of pre-1980s country songs are very gender-specific, too.

Mike
    Last edited by mgk920; 06 Dec 2004 at 1:11 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What's worse is when they take a great song and then change the gender on it. Just doesn't seem the same. Like the R&B version of "Fell in Love w/ A Girl" by the White Stripes. Some chick changed it and it sounds soooooo lame now.

I think it would be really funny if a chick sang "Hererosexual Man" by the Odds (?)...

"I wanna make every woman I see
    I wanna make every woman I see
    Do you know what's the matter with me?
    I'm a heterosexual man
    just a heterosexual man

I wanna do every woman I know
    I wanna do it to them in their clothes
    I wanna make it with them, don't you know
    I'm a heterosexual man
    It's just a problem with my glands

I'm a heterosexual, heterosexual man

Maybe make 'em make a baby with me
    'cause I'm a heterosexual man
    just a heterosexual man

I wanna have every woman I know
    I wanna have them take off their clothes
    I'll make it with them unless they say no
    'cause I'm a heterosexual man
    I'll make it with them whenever I can

I wanna get every girl on the globe
    We kiss and hug and then we disrobe
    It's a short curcuit in the frontal lobe
    I'm a heterosexual man
    It's just a problem with my glands

I'm a heterosexual, heterosexual man..."

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm....

Any song by Erasure- No man should sing....(ironic since the band is all male...I think?)
    "I touch myself" by the Divynils?- No man should sing........
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Girls songs:
    Bad to the Bone
    Cat Scratch Fever
    Fred Bear
    Mannish Boy
    I was gonna say "Mannish Boy" by Muddy Waters, but you beat me to it, by about a year! That is a quintissential XY Chromosome song. Not familiar with "Cat Scratch Fever" or "Fred Bear" though.

Quote Originally posted by donk
    No man should sing any song by Heart, can just picture that song about the surrogat efather being sung by a man (shudder).

No woman should sing any AC DC, KISS or Motorhead. Imagine Shania belting out "Giving the Dog a Bone".
    A guy could sing some Heart songs, well, nah your right. I agree, AC/DC is pretty dry in the estrogen department.

The irony of course is that many male singers have very high voices. Robert Plant or Jon Anderson from Yes are both pretty high even for most females. A young Wayne Newton's "Donka Shane" is pretty damn androgynous. Female singers hardly fool you into thinking they're male.

I would say "Precious Things" by Tori Amos is decidely female. And obviously, "Material Girl" by Madonna. Among guy-only songs, I would add the rap-sing stylings of Anthony Keidis from Red Hot Chili Peppers in "Sir Psycho Sexy", and of course "I Like Big Butts", by Sir Mix-Alot.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Dec 2013, 3:40 PM
  2. Replies: 65
    Last post: 28 Jul 2012, 10:04 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Feb 2010, 10:10 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Dec 2004, 6:19 PM
  5. Replies: 25