Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning's Patron Saint

Registered
    Jul 2002

Planning's Patron Saint

Who is a Planner's patron Saint? St. Jude? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jude_the_Apostle He is the patron saint of desperate cases and lost causes. (I like Don Quixote, but he isn't a real person, let alone a saint.)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    St. Thomas Aquinas is the patron saint of carpenters (and hence engineers and architects) and Thomas was my confirmation name.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    Who is a Planner's patron Saint? St. Jude? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jude_the_Apostle He is the patron saint of desperate cases and lost causes. (I like Don Quixote, but he isn't a real person, let alone a saint.)
    St Bernard (of Hildesheim) is often cited as the patron saint of city builders.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Searching through http://saints.sqpn.com, it appears that there are no saints for urban planners. Given the current outlook for the planning professsion, I think it should be represented by Saint Cajetan, the patron saint of the unemployed.

Saint Thomas the Apostle is the patron saint of architects, surveyors and construction workers. Close.

Saint Thomas More is the patron saint of civil service workers, which probably includes planners in the public sector.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I guess the moral of this thread is planning is an unholy profession?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cismontane View post
    I like this suggestion!

Most of us aren't architects or engineers, so Thomas Aquinas isn't the best fit. Thomas More would work, but not all planners are civil service workers.

How about a poll?
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Can I nominate myself? St. Gotta. I think it has a nice ring to it!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    We've had a few other threads like this (I think I started one of them) but I can't remember the results and I'm too lazy right now to look them up. (pretty pathetic, but at least I admit to it ).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Cismontane View post
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I like this suggestion!
    Info on St. Bernard, Bishop of Hildesheim, from the Catholic Encyclopedia at the website Catholic Answers (catholic.com): http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?ti...heim)%2C_Saint

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 16 Sep 2017, 12:28 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Jul 2008, 10:01 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 29 Nov 2005, 3:08 PM
  4. Patron Saint for Planners?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 May 2002, 1:56 PM