Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Economic development Miami?

Registered
    Apr 2011

Economic development Miami?

Hello All, I am extremely interested in working in a ED firm in Miami. Does anyone have any experience working there? If so what is job outlook? What should you know when working their? I am fluent in both Spanish and Portuguese, would that be useful?

Thank!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Hey Planitgood! Welcome to Cyburbia. I don't know anything about working in Miami-Dade, but you will probably get a better response if you post questions like this in the Career Development and Advice forum. Best of luck!

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Hello! and thank you for your response. I will be sure to do so.

Registered
    Apr 2011

Economic Development Miami?

Hello All, I am extremely interested in working in a ED firm in Miami. Does anyone have any experience working there? If so what is job outlook? What should you know when working their? I am fluent in both Spanish and Portuguese, would that be useful?

Thanks!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My guess is that you are going to be very disappointed if you put the same post in multiple forums. It is times like these that I wish I was a mod...

Welcome to Cyburbia by the way. On review I saw that you posted this after posting in the other forum. In the future I would wait for a mod to move it. Otherwise it seems like you are just posting like a crazy person. I take back my initial reaction. Again welcome.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Hey I apologize. I didn't know if the mod moved it or not. They just told me that my question would be better suited in the Career Development and Advice Forum. Therefore, I was being proactive and did it myself. I know for next time though.

This is probably not the best time with the massive cuts to CDBG. But if I were in your shoes I would apply regardless. The worst they can say is no.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    If you are fluent in two languages and understand economic development, international trade and FDI you should be able to work almost anywhere, including Miami. Start by looking for ED jobs anywhere in South Florida. The economic development world is small. Get involved with the local economic development groups and trade associations in the area to build your network.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Great Advice! Thank you very much. That sounds very practical.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I hate to be negative, but you are looking at a very narrow slice of a very small field. There are very few firms providing economic development services in the country. Even in a city the size of Miami there are likely to be only 2-3 possibilities. Based on my own observations (as someone who owns an economic development consulting business) these companies tend to want to hire people with a few years experience.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker
    Welcome to Cyburbia! Several members already pointed out our policy against duplicate postings, so I won't repeat it. Duplicate thread moved from Community and Economic Development forum and merged in Career Development and Advice. Thanks and carry on!
    Batter up!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Jun 2013, 12:50 AM
  2. MBA economic development?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 22 Aug 2011, 4:57 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 10:47 AM
  4. Replies: 0