Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: ED finance and incentive layering in DeKalb Co., GA

Registered
    Apr 2011

ED finance and incentive layering in DeKalb Co., GA

Hi All: I'm working on an academic development proposal for a site in DeKalb County, Georgia. The location is eligible for taxable/tax exempt bond financing, Enterprise Zone designation and Tax Allocation District designation.

The proposal is a destination retail center approximately 6 miles from central Atlanta. The site has an Atlanta mailing address, a Decatur zipcode and is subject to DeKalb County jurisdiction. Located just outside the municipal boundaries of Atlanta, this submarket doesn't attract as much investment. The project will seek to tap into incentives and I want to structure it in a reasonable manner.

Can anyone suggest resources to sort through subsidy layering of these 3 incentive programs?

Bond Financing (taxable or tax-exempt)
    TIF/Tax Allocation District
    Empowerment Zone

I am pretty concerned about the main benefit of the EZ clashing with the tax increment revenue stream of the TIF/TAD. How can that be structured? What else to be wary of?

Thanks for any reports back!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by jcJIG View post
    Hi All: I'm working on an academic development proposal for a site in DeKalb County, Georgia. The location is eligible for taxable/tax exempt bond financing, Enterprise Zone designation and Tax Allocation District designation.

The proposal is a destination retail center approximately 6 miles from central Atlanta. The site has an Atlanta mailing address, a Decatur zipcode and is subject to DeKalb County jurisdiction. Located just outside the municipal boundaries of Atlanta, this submarket doesn't attract as much investment. The project will seek to tap into incentives and I want to structure it in a reasonable manner.

Can anyone suggest resources to sort through subsidy layering of these 3 incentive programs?

Bond Financing (taxable or tax-exempt)
    TIF/Tax Allocation District
    Empowerment Zone

I am pretty concerned about the main benefit of the EZ clashing with the tax increment revenue stream of the TIF/TAD. How can that be structured? What else to be wary of?

Thanks for any reports back!
    Welcome to Cyburbia. You will find somek great people on the boards but if you are looking for someone to do your research or write your paper then expect some less than positive comments.

I don't think DeKalb County is in the empowerment zone for Georgia, although they might have an enterprise zone designation. As for layering I would look at the enabling statues, see what other cities have done to structure deals, look at scholarly journals and economic development trade publications to see what you can find. Also, give the local economic developer a call and see if they can help you. I have talked to countless students writing papers.

For TIF consider the encumbered increment as well.

As for tax exempt bond financing you will need to look at the industrial revenue bond statues of Georgia and the IRS code to determine if the activity is eligible. The key word is industrial. I have ran several IRB's but never for a shopping center.

As for the submarket not attracting much investment you should investigate why.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Mar 2011, 1:10 PM
  2. Campaign finance reform
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Sep 2010, 3:14 PM
  3. MBA/infrastructure finance
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Aug 2007, 1:26 PM