Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Crash, Boom, Bam! How Noisy Are You?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Crash, Boom, Bam! How Noisy Are You?

It ain't no big secret.....this Bear is a klutz. And with klutzitude comes noise. Lots of noise. I am just not a quiet person.....at least when it comes to physical movement, yadda yadda.

I am always the first person up in this ole' bruin household. Katie likes to sleep in. Not me. And an early morning bruin is a hungry bruin.....so into the kitchen I slowly amble. Mmmmm, there is a tube of cinnamon rolls, ready to bake. That sounds good on a rainy Easter morning. Now, can I quietly access the cookie sheet? I bend these old knees and reach into the base cabinet, grabbing the most appropriate cookie sheet. I slowly retract it.

All hell breaks loose! The edge of the sheet catches another sheet and then another. Before my klutzy paws can stop the parade of cookie sheets they are crashing to the floor. As they say in the service, All right you guys, rise and shine!.
    _____

I have always been noisy. A friend that I camped with many a time (along the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan in the awesome Upper Peninsula!) refused to talk to me for about a week. I had made too much early-morning noise at the campsite.
    _____

Oddly enough, I am a quiet (Type B) person. Just not a physically quiet person. How about you?

Bear

EDIT: I just burnt the bottoms of the cinnamon rolls. The tube directions said 16-20 minutes. I set the timer for 14 minutes. The smoke alarm went off at 12 minutes. Now everybody is awake. Happy Easter. Grrrrr.......
    Last edited by Bear Up North; 24 Apr 2011 at 7:38 AM. Reason: Smoke Alarm
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Physically, I don't think I'm a noisy person...not really a klutz. I'm a fairly slim person and fairly concious about not making noise, so I'm pretty good at swiftly and gingerly going about my business without making too much noise.

However, I have a recurring cough and am a loud sneezer, so I guess I can be a little noisy in those instances.

I'm generally a pretty quiet person (shy around people I don't know very well), but when I do talk (or laugh), I can be pretty loud, like when I'm whooping it up with friends or whatever.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Funny you started this thread, as I just remarked on this phenomenon last week. I'm generally a pretty quiet person. I walk quietly, I sit quietly, and I don't usually make a lot of noise doing most other activities. Mrs. Maister is frequently shocked, surprised, or otherwise taken off-guard when I enter a room (..."oh, you scared me there for a second. I didn't hear you..."). She, by contrast, is a rather noisy person. Even though I outweigh her by at least 60 lbs, I seem to make half the noise she does while walking down a hall or ascending a staircase - I swear she stomps. Cooking? I can't count the number of times she's released an avalanche of pots and pans. Me, I make a deliberate effort to extricate a pot or pan carefully, so as not to make a huge racket. I guess I value peace and quiet.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I guess I value peace and quiet.
    I take it that your wife doesn't read any of your posts in this forum?

I'm generally pretty quiet but do have a bad tendency to pull corded objects off shelves with the assumption that the cord won't hang up on several other items. That despite that fact that the assumption has frequently been proved to be false. I also swear loudly when the inevitable happens.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I am in full stealth mode 100% of the time. Like a ninja.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I'm very quiet as far as movement goes... Until I moved out of the house for college, I had always thought that walking on the balls of your feet while indoors was something everyone learns by age 8, but now I know better. The GF is a heavy walker as is the woman who lives above me. As heavy footsteps are one of my biggest peeves, it can be challenging to put up with others' clumsiness. I have earplugs to help with sleeping along with heavy-duty shooting range earmuffs for when I just need utter silence.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I've been known to call Mrs. P "Grace" after some of her escapares of things that good crashing down. Wee P has inherited some of those traits as well.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    This made me think about the show "Triple Rush". One of the first things the owner says to the bike messengers is - are you clumsy? Do you run into things a lot? Then I don't want you, because you will die.

I am not really clumsy. I wouldn't exactly call myself nimble, but I am not overly bump prone. I would say I am a normal one.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm fairly quiet and fairly nimble. Although I have been known to walk into a door frame (no really) on occasion. The past week or so my balance has been a bit off - I almost tipped over getting ready this morning.

In my house it is rather difficult to arrive in any room unannounced as either a dog or two or a cat or two is often accompanying me or woofing/meowing for food.

I try to go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. But get a couple drinks in me or some endorphins and that's a completely different story...

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Given my size, I'm pretty quiet. I've been know to accidentally sneak up on people and startle them.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I am not a fan of obnoxious noise levels. One of the reasons I dislike my apartment so much is because of the constant stream of garbage trucks, buses, screaming teenagers, and cars that pollute my eardrums. I think whoever invented the beep beep beep beep beep beeping whenever something large goes into reverse should be strung up and subjected to a cacophony of beeps for life. I have a hard time understanding how we can invent machines that can thrust humankind into space but we cannot invent a garbage truck that doesn't operate at 110 decibels.

I am extremely noise sensitive. Too much sound puts me into a foul mood. So, it is no surprise that I am a relatively quiet person. I also have a hard time being nice to people who shout into their cellphones in public or enjoying the company of drunk people when I'm not drinking because drunk people tend to shout everything they have to say and to talk incessantly.

That being said, I am also very social and love conversation. I just don't like noise out of place and for no reason. I sound like such a grouch.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Nov 2011, 3:20 PM
  2. Taxiway Crash at JFK
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 13 Apr 2011, 10:57 AM
  3. Things that go CRASH in the night
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 18 Sep 2010, 11:47 PM