Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bird concerns

Registered
    Feb 2004

Bird concerns

Anyone know how to keep robins from flying into windows? Got a male that repeatedly smacks into the kitchen window for past several days - is he 'attacking' his reflection I wonder?

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Anyone know how to keep robins from flying into windows? Got a male that repeatedly smacks into the kitchen window for past several days - is he 'attacking' his reflection I wonder?
    Put either noise makers/things that move or a fake owl out.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Put either noise makers/things that move or a fake owl out.
    I wondered about the fake owl, but I don't know. Years ago they put a bunch of those downtown to scare off the pigeons that were crapping in the window-mounted air conditioning units and it seems the pigeons now roost on top of the owls and crap all over them instead.

But if it worked I'd be afraid the owl would scare every bird out of our yard. Maybe a noise maker would work. I wonder if wind chimes would work?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    You could try some type of gel cling to hang on the window to obscure the reflection.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    He is indeed attacking that unwanted rival in the window. It's sort of like what happens when an 'intact' male cat sees his reflection in a mirror. I'd guess that he'll mellow out once mating season is over.

As for pigeons, it is somewhat unsightly, but putting out a 'bed of nails' on the surfaces that you don't want them landing on seems to work. There is a small billboard here in Appleton where its owner strung a line with a row of short rods hanging from it across its top to keep the pigeons and other birds off. The billboard is at the edge of a used-car lot.

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2006
    It's probably just being territorial. If you don't find it entertaining, you could try putting a hawk silhouette on the window. We've also had some success with just tacking a couple ribbons to the upper window frame to distract birds so they don't fly head-on into the glass.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    I would try ofos' suggestion of taping ribbons by or on the window. Our local community farm uses strips of mylar ribbon (available at garden supply stores) to deter birds from peas and it works very well.

In the house I grew up in, we had a cardinal that returned at least two seasons to do this same thing. I first noticed it because I heard this almost regular tapping coming from the living room. Sure enough, a cardinal was sitting on a branch of a large honeysuckle bush just outside the window and habitually trying to fly into it. Again and again. It also only happened at certain times of day when the sun made the window reflective. I could never figure out if it was trying to attack another bird or it was seeing the reflection of the bush and though it could fly into it in search of more food.

The amazing thing is that happened again the next year. I assume it was the same cardinal, but I couldn't say for sure. If so, I was just impressed that it could survive that many impacts and still come back for more...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2005
    Open the window?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    You could try some type of gel cling to hang on the window to obscure the reflection.
    Yup. You can buy removable decals to put on your window. I use 'em to keep birds from hitting our windows on their way to and from the feeders.

Window Decals

Registered
    Jul 2006
    A large cat, strategically placed, will also cut down bird impacts.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Bird to window impacts. It might increase the bird to paw impacts.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Just happened to find this...

Preventing bird-window collisions
    http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/...ions_flyer.pdf

I dunno, I kinda like ofos's idea, plus, it will take care of any mice problems.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Coule be worse my dad has a hawk that smacks into his family room window on occasion. Its a good thing he has a brown leather Lazy-Boy from Monroe Michigan!

Come to think of it, it was white at one time.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    epilogue: I ended up buying decals as MP suggested. Works like a charm. No more birdie collisions.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Glad I could be of assistance, Maister!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Um... how protected is my identity here?

We had our chimney swept today. The chimney sweeper guy removed a Chimney Swift nest, which is protected from removal by the Migratory Bird Treaty of 1918. He said that the nest was abandoned and that the bird would have no way to return to the nest since we had the flue repaired a few months ago (before we knew about the Swift or the nest). MW had no idea he wasn't allowed to remove the nest without a permit, but the guy must have known because he told her he removed an abandoned nest from an endangered bird (as a side note - I don't think Swifts are endangered, just protected, but still....).

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Does the fact that the bird couldn't get to the nest anymore make it okay that the sweeper removed the nest? Am I in big trouble? Shouldn't the contractors who worked on our chimney have looked for a Swift nest?

Apparently, Swifts return to the same nesting site every year. I am hoping we didn't chase it off by repairing the flue and cap. We are going to go out and find a nice Chimney Swift tower to put up and hope the bird comes back.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post

We had our chimney swept today. The chimney sweeper guy removed a Chimney Swift nest, which is protected from removal by the Migratory Bird Treaty of 1918. He said that the nest was abandoned and that the bird would have no way to return to the nest since we had the flue repaired a few months ago (before we knew about the Swift or the nest). MW had no idea he wasn't allowed to remove the nest without a permit, but the guy must have known because he told her he removed an abandoned nest from an endangered bird (as a side note - I don't think Swifts are endangered, just protected, but still....).

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Does the fact that the bird couldn't get to the nest anymore make it okay that the sweeper removed the nest? Am I in big trouble? Shouldn't the contractors who worked on our chimney have looked for a Swift nest?

Apparently, Swifts return to the same nesting site every year. I am hoping we didn't chase it off by repairing the flue and cap. We are going to go out and find a nice Chimney Swift tower to put up and hope the bird comes back.
    I think the fact that it was nesting in a man-made object that was not intended for a nest removes you from all responsibility. I wouldn't feel bad at all, but I find birds terribly creepy.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006

A chimney swift tower is a good solution. I don't believe that the nest itself is protected except during nesting season.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I think the fact that it was nesting in a man-made object that was not intended for a nest removes you from all responsibility. I wouldn't feel bad at all, but I find birds terribly creepy.
    A chimney swift tower is a good solution. I don't believe that the nest itself is protected except during nesting season.
    The Migratory Bird Act actually does protect both the birds and their nests from being removed from chimneys or any other man-made habitats.... I think.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005
    The Migratory Bird Act actually does protect both the birds and their nests from being removed from chimneys or any other man-made habitats.
    I know, that was more my own opinion.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I know, that was more my own opinion.
    I'm going to send you pictures of my cute Chimney Swift nest and baby birds as soon as they come back!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    The Migratory Bird Act actually does protect both the birds and their nests from being removed from chimneys or any other man-made habitats.... I think.
    You're safe. Here are two documents from the FHWA.
    www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/mbpermits/.../MBPM-2.nest.PDF

"While it is illegal to collect, possess, and by any means transfer possession of any migratory bird
    nest, the MBTA does not contain any prohibition that applies to the destruction of a bird nest
    alone (without birds or eggs), provided that no possession occurs during the destruction. The
    MBTA does not authorize the Service to issue permits in situations in which the prohibitions of
    the Act do not apply, such as the destruction of unoccupied nests. (Some unoccupied nests are
    legally protected by statutes other than the MBTA, including nests of threatened and endangered
    migratory bird species and bald and golden eagles, within certain parameters.)"

Registered
    May 2005

Pretty Bird

I'm going to send you pictures of my cute Chimney Swift nest and baby birds as soon as they come back!
    Hary, I took care of it...

http://youtu.be/1jOnmdUcuG8

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Thanks ofos! I feel better now. I'm still going to hunt down a nice chimney tower and hope the Swift returns.

I birds!
    Occupy Your Brain!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Tweeting like a little bird
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 30 Jul 2014, 2:51 PM
  2. The Bird (Not The Kind That Flies)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11