Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Temping for firms and TranConsult firm list

Registered
    Jun 2010

Temping for firms and TranConsult firm list

Had a two pronged question.

1) I need a job/work. Somebody had suggested to me trying to see if I could temp for Transportation Firms in any capacity (Transportation Research is my top desire).
    So far, in my searches I have considered tempting but all the temp firms I have found place people in HR/Finance/Computer/Healthcare type offices.
    I have never seen/heard of firms which staff Planning offices.

Do any of you know of recruiters who staff planning/transportation research firms?
    If so...could you answer or PM?

2) Also was suggested I just call the transportation firms and directly ask, I have a decent size list of a dozen firms, but do any of you have a more exhaustive of transportation planning/research firms?

Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Planning is such a small profession that there are few if any headhunters for us. If you call these firms, who are planning to speak with and what will you say?
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jun 2010
    Bummer.
    1) I was thinking that maybe there would be a temp/recruiter firm that would staff people for a planning or transportation research firm....even if it was an admin assistant type position...something that gets you in the office.
    -I mean, you guys work in the industry, none of your organizations use recruiters to staff even office admin positions?

To answer your question NR (and thanks again for responding, appreciate your help), I was thinking of getting a list of a few dozen transportation planning/research organizations, calling, and asking if they had any opens for any positions, including office admin jobs, as I was looking to get into field, and if not....do they work with any staffing agencies to fill such spots.
    -Figure the worst they can do is say no, and hang up.

Registered
    Jun 2010
    Pretty much this is it. I have exhausted my search otherwise for full time planning work. I've searched nationally for months across several sectors (Fed/State/Private) and now I need work/money.
    I am going to have to temp, and I just really don't want to end up temping in a sales office/computer office and being drawn into a position and field that has nothing to do with with my degree as I'd hate to waste my graduate degree.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I think you need economies of scale to warrant a headhunter. We are still a very small profession (35,000-40,000 nationally). That comes out to one planner for every 7500 people (309,000,000/40,000). Compare that to lawyers, accountants, doctors, MBAs, engineers, etc. There are also many of out-of-work planners, many of whom have far better connections than a headhunter. As per our private discussion, look into employers who are likely to higher professionals with transferable skills found with planners (which is probably corporate positions, not consulting or public sector). No, it's not necessarily a "planning" title, and it may not directly account for professional planning experience, but it is better than nothing at all at this point.

As for contacting agencies, calling up and asking for interview is better than doing nothing, although not by much. Here are a few alternatives:

1. Attend as many networking opportunities (workshops, seminars, conferences) tha are sponsored by your local APA chapter. Do volunteer work and get to know people first. I earned an in-person interview this way a few weeks ago (although it was more of a surprise and I never demanded it).
    2. Set up informational interviews. Write a letter or email to a specific person in the agency/firm and ask to discuss their company or agency. Do not go in asking for work. You will have time to explain that you are looking for work, but treat it as a matter of fact. Don't act desperate or demanding. Let them bring up the subject of employment, not you. Afterwords, mail in a thank-you letter (handwritten or typed) and politely mention if he/she knows anyone who is looking for work.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Aug 2011, 2:46 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Jul 2010, 10:11 AM
  3. Using projects from one firm at another firm
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7