Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: San Diego leaves planning behind, at least in name

Registered
    Apr 2010

San Diego leaves planning behind, at least in name

To save $1 million a year, the mayor of San Diego is folding the Planning Department into the department in charge of processing building permits, Development Services. There's tension because the two departments have different relationships with developers. "Development Services tends to say, 'Do you meet the regulations, yes or no?' Planning is about saying, 'Are you meeting the intent of the policy and the vision?'"

The full story: http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/survi...cc4c002e0.html

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Not a popular view, I know, but I don't think this means quite what some say it does. They're just combining the more academic advance planning dept with the project review dept...same as NYC and a lot of other big cities... not getting rid of advance planning altogether. There will still be 22 advance planners in city employ (minus one or two from current staffing. I think). Remember, SD is a charter city where zoning does not legally have to be aligned with the General Plan. The separation of advance planning from zoning review abetted this schizophrenia... ensuring a bizare situation where there was the zoning vision and the general plan vision, and the twain shall never meet.

The state and city are effectively bankrupt. One needs to find costs to cut anywhere one can. And, frankly, it's not like the advance planning agency distinguished itself while it was actually autonomous. I don't fully trust the mayor's intentions with this merger, but in theory it could even help the state of planning in the city.

Fire away at me. ;-P

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 18 Feb 2015, 3:19 PM
  2. Raking teh leaves
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 06 Nov 2014, 6:28 PM
  3. Sunny San Diego planning jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 32