Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Resume for internship when you have no experience?

Resume for internship when you have no experience?

Hello, I am currently going to school for a B.A. in Political Science. I am thinking about getting my Masters in City Planning. Anyways, I have a opportunity to perhaps get a internship at a city planning department. I do not know how to change my resume to reflect that since I have no experience and just general knowledge of the field. Should I put that city planning is a interest of mine in the resume? Or show I just let my experience and skills from my totally unrelated job speak for itself?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    What job experience do you have, related or not? Although many of us would like to start the first resume with killer credentials, we often have to start at the bottom. Do you have any part-time jobs you worked in junior high, high school,or college? Did you do volunteer work or extra-curricular activities? Do you have any leadership experience? Focus less on the tasks and more on the results. Can you show quantifiable accomplishments? See previous posts. Look into functional versus chronological/reverse chronological resumes.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    If nothing else, try to list relevant classes and what you've done in them. It is not ideal but better than nothing. That's honestly what I did when I was in the same situation as you.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Jan 2011, 12:28 AM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last post: 24 Dec 2009, 11:41 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Aug 2008, 3:05 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 9:20 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Jan 2002, 1:17 PM