Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How important is urban planning experience when applying to Grad School?

Registered
    Apr 2011

How important is urban planning experience when applying to Grad School?

I'm going to be applying to urban planning grad schools this fall. I have a 3.4 GPA majoring in Poli Sci/History with numerous urban planning courses taken as an undergrad. While researching grad schools I have become nervous because I don't really have experience in the field. I will be interning for an economic development organization in Cape Town this summer and am currently interning for a State Senator (where I have had to deal with some zoning law issues). Where I am at school, it is very hard for someone not with a masters degree to get involved in planning internships.

My main question is, will this make me less attractive to admissions people compared to those who have had experience?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Experience isn't necessary. Not too many people even have an opportunity to work in the planning field these days without a Master's. Sounds like you'll probably have more relevant work experience than a lot of people applying anyway. Just working within the political system is a huge plus.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    your work experience will be just fine--it's expected that many people coming into a graduate plannning program have never done it before professionally. the things you're doing are plenty close enough, and should be attractive to admittance folks as long as you clearly state how your work experience will help you be a great fit for their program.

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Ok thanks for the assurance. I was a little worried when looking at websites on what different Graduate programs look for.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think in some parts of the country it is going to get harder to get into grad school for people without experience because there are so many people going back to school because they left or lost their jobs.

If you are a good candidate, they will take you no matter your experience level.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Sep 2013, 12:11 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 02 Jul 2009, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Dec 2007, 4:32 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Mar 2007, 4:32 PM