Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cinco de Mayo

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Cinco de Mayo

Anyone doin anything fun for this Mexican holiday??? Margaritas, anyone??? I am going to see Widespread Panic...not much of a Mexican celebration but a celebration in its own right...
    As long as I can remember I tended bar or worked the beer tub at the mexican restaurant I worked in forever...this is only the 2nd year I get to have fun on the holiday

No fun for me but it is the aniversary of my first Dead show!
    Work and Homework all weekend.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    No fun for me but it is the aniversary of my first Dead show!
    Work and Homework all weekend.
    ooohhhh I bet that was a fun show!! Where was it??? I am so looking forward to the Panic show tommorrow night...I have never seen them!! Wont compare to the Dead but will still be a great time!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I saw Panic at the base of Keystone Ski Resort a couple summers ago. They played after Karl Denson's Tiny Universe and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. GREAT show.

Jax, make sure you DON'T buy any mushroom burritos in the parking lot. Those aren't portabellos....

As for Cinco de Mayo, I will be eating some home-made enchiladas and kicking back some Carta Blancas.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I will be spending my night on the road and in a meeting.

I have a 7:00 Township Board Meeting to attend for a community located 1.5 hours away.

After the meeting (9:00) time to turn around and head home.

Will likely pick up a 6er of some cold beer, maybe Dos Equies, and drink it when I get home.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I plan to do what I do every night......Try and take over the world!!!! (My best Brain impersonation)

Also, look for a new job and drink a couple of Coronas, if I've done my yard work.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't do "amateur nights" anymore

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    he, he...I worked them for so long and had to deal with all those "amateurs"...used to call N.Y's eve, Sat. nights, etc the same thing...truth be told, I had no idea what Cinco was until I started working in a Mexican rest/bar...BUT as usual, an excuse to get out and have some fun!!!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I get the impression that cinco de mayo in flyover country (where I'm at) is about as big a holiday as St. Patricks day is down south.....more or less a non-event.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

You mean Femte Maj?

Sixty years ago on 5 May 1945 Denmark was liberated from nearly six years of nazi occupation. My mother was 14 when the nazis stormed in and 20 when they left. You can bet that both of us will be drinking Akvavit and saying Skol!
    Je suis Charlie

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    You mean Femte Maj?

Sixty years ago on 5 May 1945 Denmark was liberated from nearly six years of nazi occupation. My mother was 14 when the nazis stormed in and 20 when they left. You can bet that both of us will be drinking Akvavit and saying Skol!

The temples in the area are holding Holocaust rememberances tommorrow night, is there a reason tommorrow evening is significant to Jews? (This is really embarrassing as my family is Jewish ) Or is it perhaps because the events wouldn't be held on the Sabbath, Firday night??

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I get the impression that cinco de mayo in flyover country (where I'm at) is about as big a holiday as St. Patricks day is down south.....more or less a non-event.
    With the HUGE Mexican population in Denver, and north of Denver where I currently live, we were taught about (and celebrated) Cinco de Mayo since I was a kid. The holiday is huge here, and my father can count on most of his employees to be off that day from work (or the day after).
    In fact, the same weekend as the UNC graduation, is the Semana Latina held in Greeley, CO this weekend. Should be a happenin' place with fun for all.
    I think I heard somewhere that Cinco de Mayo is more of a Chicano holiday and not celebrated at all in Mexico.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    The temples in the area are holding Holocaust rememberances tommorrow night, is there a reason tommorrow evening is significant to Jews? (This is really embarrassing as my family is Jewish ) Or is it perhaps because the events wouldn't be held on the Sabbath, Firday night??
    I don't know. The official surrender documents were signed 7 May 45, IIRC.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Au contraire!!! St. Patrick's Day is a very big deal here in the Big Easy, along with St. Joseph's Day.

I'll drink a few tequila shots at home.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Au contraire!!! St. Patrick's Day is a very big deal here in the Big Easy, along with St. Joseph's Day.

What is St. Josephs Day??

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    What is St. Josephs Day??
    St. Joseph - husband of Mary and (step)father of Jesus, also patron saint of Italy/Sicily. His feast day is March 19th, 2 days after St. Patrick.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella

Maybe Pulaski Day would be a better example.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I will not be participating in festivities this year due to recovering from a nasty flu bug that kept me home from work yesterday.

In college we would have Margaritas at noon... (and most hours there after)
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Yes- I will be celebrating a holiday I know nothing about in Downtown Providence pounding Margaritas and Fajittas!

It's a nonevent in Mexico as well, I'm wondering if this is just a Southwest thing? Mexican Independence Day is the big deal in Mexico.

Trader Joe's has a beer called Rio Claro for sale, looks kind of bland. I'll go for enchiladas and a killer flan from a local restaurant or perhaps some Chilaquilla.

Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    It's a nonevent in Mexico as well, I'm wondering if this is just a Southwest thing? Mexican Independence Day is the big deal in Mexico.

I one had a friend from Mexico and he was makin fun of us Mexican-Americans for celebrating Cindo de Mayo. I told him that some day there would be more US Mexicans than Mexico Mexicans and we will see who is right (This is supposed to funny, I dont want Gov Schwartzenager to go on talk radio about this post). I think Cinco de Mayo is bigger in the US than Mexican independence day (September) because it falls at the right time. Back when most Mexican-Americans were agricultural workers, who could get off work when the harvest season was in full swing?

In honor of my parents, I intend to listen to rancheras, eat food so hot that the plate almost melts, and think back fondly to the time I saw the widow of Pancho Villa in a Cinco de Mayo parade in California.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yeah, I'm only about 25 miles from San Antonio. So you can bet your ass I'll be partaking in the consuption of mixed adult beverages with salt and lime!

Right after I go take my research methods final...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

I one had a friend from Mexico and he was makin fun of us Mexican-Americans for celebrating Cindo de Mayo.
    Many of my coworkers are Mexican immigrants, even after being here for years they chuckle at Cinco de Mayo's popularity.
    I told him that some day there would be more US Mexicans than Mexico Mexicans and we will see who is right (This is supposed to funny, I dont want Gov Schwartzenager to go on talk radio about this post).
    Ah yes, revenge of the "paisas"
    In honor of my parents, I intend to listen to rancheras, eat food so hot that the plate almost melts, and think back fondly to the time I saw the widow of Pancho Villa in a Cinco de Mayo parade in California.
    I have to admit, my ability to handle concentrated habanero infused food is well.....very weak. I inhale Mexican food gleefully at a moderate spice level.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    You stole my line. Don't make me climb over the bar to come and get you.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    In college we would have Margaritas at noon... (and most hours there after)
    An ex roommate of mine still has the refillable Jose Cuervo "Margarita Ball". Its like a pony keg for margaritas with an air pump tap. Evil device. Pure Evil I say.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 35
    Last post: 05 May 2004, 9:49 PM