Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Federal funding and NEPA

Registered
    Feb 2007

Federal funding and NEPA

Hi all...
    We have a transit center I am currently doing CEQA work on and was wondering if we are also required to file a NEPA/EIS report. Our project was federally funded for design and site selection only. We are using state grant funds for construction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Things to consider would be if this is considered 'regionally signficant' by Caltrans/FHWA.

We have done some of this work before, if it is part of a new starts program it is much more difficult to get through the environmental work.

Ultimately it is up to you federal Department of Transportation offices. Unfortunately every office is different and not all of them approach the rules in the same fashion. I'd call them an ask for a explaination. I would be very careful in how I would approach them as I am sure they will have lots of questions.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    I'm not in CA but in my experience NEPA has applied to any project where federal dollars were used in any phase of the planning, design or construction. It might not be a full EIS but it would require compliance to NEPA in some way. As was said in the previous comment, though, every FHWA division office is different.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I second allez's opinion. Federal dollars = NEPA. Looks like the joys of a joint document are in your future!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Just got a timely e-mail from NTI.
    https://www.ntionline.com/CourseInfo...umber=TPE18-30
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I feel like the scene in lethal weapon 2 with the South African drug load telling mel gibson...

"categorical exclusion"
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I feel like the scene in lethal weapon 2 with the South African drug load telling mel gibson...

"categorical exclusion"
    Chances are good that your project will be a CE, but who knows? It is up to a faceless bureaucrat to determine this.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Nov 2005, 12:15 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Sep 2005, 3:56 PM
  3. Federal funding shift to transit/rail
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 May 2005, 11:58 AM
  4. Design Build & Federal Funding
    Economic and Community Development