Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Best Sports Colleges

Registered
    Jan 2005

Best Sports Colleges

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...sp?CID=1218530

This article made me think about which college is the best in all sports. Obviously Florida and Ohio State make the most money from the two sports that make money, but when you look at the overall championships it is much different....

1. UCLA - 104
    2. Stanford - 97
    3. USC - 90
    4. Oklahoma State - 49
    5. North Carolina - 44
    6. Arkansas - 43
    7. LSU - 42
    8. Penn State - 37
    9. Michigan - 32
    10. California - 28
    11. Denver - 27
    12. Yale - 27
    13. Georgia - 26
    14. Wisconsin - 26

Noting that the first three are eons above everyone else.

Also noting that neither Florida or Ohio State are on the list. The real interesting school is obviously Denver. They do pretty well at hockey and skiing - two sports we don't think about often. This list is even more interesting because schools that are good at one sport still do pretty well... if that sport has multiple seasons. A great example is Arkansas. With 40 of the national championships coming from men's cross country, indoor and outdoor track.

Obviously this list is skewed to more "established" schools. I don't imagine you would see Liberty on the list anytime soon.

What do you consider the "best" sports school... those who are best at the sports we care about, or those who are best overall? Harvard has the most sports at 41 men's and women's sports.

There are always ways to look from different angles....

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...orts-programs/

http://www.businesspundit.com/the-12...ncaa-football/

http://theladysportswriter.blogspot....-athletic.html
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005

Grand Valley State University

My undergrad al ma mater......

The top DII athletic program over the last decade. From wiki...

Grand Valley's varsity athletic teams have won seven national championships in four sports and have been national runners-up thirteen times in eight sports. GVSU has also won the prestigious National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) Directors' Cup for NCAA Division II schools in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 after finishing second in 2002 and 2003.[1][2] The cup is awarded to the top athletic programs based on overall team national finishes. Grand Valley is the first college east of the Mississippi River to win the Director's Cup for NCAA Division II.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Here is a different measure -
    National Champion of the Excellence in Management Cup -

.is to recognize the athletic programs "that win the most conference and national championships, while at the same time have the lowest expenses."
    2009 - National Champion - Utah State
    2010 - Conference Champion & Nationally ranked 3rd - Utah State
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I'm a little surprised to see Okla St. at #4. What sports do they dominate in? Must be some of the more obscure ones. UCLA, USC, and Stanford are not too surprising at the top as they tend to excel in a lot of the women's sports, have a large number of total sports programs, and draw the cream of the crop of west coast athletes because they don't have to compete against a ton of other schools for recruits like eastern schools do.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I'm a little surprised to see Okla St. at #4. What sports do they dominate in?
    Cow Tipping?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I'm a little surprised to see Okla St. at #4. What sports do they dominate in? Must be some of the more obscure ones. UCLA, USC, and Stanford are not too surprising at the top as they tend to excel in a lot of the women's sports, have a large number of total sports programs, and draw the cream of the crop of west coast athletes because they don't have to compete against a ton of other schools for recruits like eastern schools do.
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Cow Tipping?
    Off-topic:
    Oklahoma State has probably the top wrestling program in the country, and have won 34 national titles in wrestling, starting with the very first one conferred in 1929. The next closest school in terms of number of wrestling titles is Iowa with 23. The Oklahoma State wrestling program has been so successful that the National Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum has been located on the Oklahoma State campus since it opened in 1976.

Trivia - Oklahoma State's biggest rivals are my own Oklahoma Sooners. The two schools' athletic rivalry is known as the "Bedlam Series". This term was first used to describe the rivalry after a wrestling match between the Sooners and the then-Oklahoma A&M Aggies in the 1930's at then-Gallagher Hall, when the noise got so loud that the local radio coverage was bumped off the air for 15 minutes and the subsequent power surge caused some of the lights to explode. A newspaper reporter covering the match described it as "bedlam", and the title stuck.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    -I've always admired how Stanford manages to compete at such a high level in D-1 athletics while maintaining a reputation as a west coast Ivy league-caliber school.

-I'm surprised Notre Dame isn't higher on the list- although they've fallen off the map in football they seem to compete well in most other sports.

-I didn't know Denver had D-I athletics (do they even play football?).

Registered
    Nov 2001
    I'm a little surprised to see Okla St. at #4. What sports do they dominate in?
    Wrestling.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I didn't know Denver had D-I athletics (do they even play football?).
    Many schools compete in D-1 athletics without having football.

For most universities football is a BIG TIME money loser. For the cost of having a football team, equipment, facilities, coaches, etc. a school can fund all of its other athletic programs.

Very few sports actually generate $$$$...generally just football, basketball, and hockey. If all your $$$ goes to a football program, no $$$ goes to other sports. The Ohio St, Wisconsin, Texas, and other power house football progrmans generate the revenuse to have other sports...fencing, softball, etc.

And remember the role the Title IX plays in athletics. you must have an equal number of men's and women's sports programs. The availability of $$$ and Title IX typically determine which sports a university will offer.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. BRT and colleges
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 1:44 PM
  2. Parking Parking standards for colleges
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Jan 2007, 8:07 PM
  3. Planning colleges