Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Official "healthy city" or "healthy community" designations?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2011

Official "healthy city" or "healthy community" designations?

Anyone know of organizations (international, national, regional, metropolitan, etc.) that provide criteria for "Healthy" places?

If so:
    1) do you know if they solicit participation in "competition" for the title? (or is it selection by review panel/group?)
    2) any links to the specific criteria?
    3) would you recommend any of them as the sort of "gold standard?"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'm not sure how helpful this is but I saw this Gallop-Healthway well-being index a few months back that ranks cities. I hadn't really gone through their methodology or criteria in depth but it seems like it relies on Gallop polling to gather information. All that information is posted on their site though.

It seems like it is a rather new ranking but it definitely gets some media attention if nothing else. Was kind of big news around here when one of the major cities scored near the bottom. You can see the individual rankings here. Definitely not surprised that Boulder, CO topped the list.

I've never heard of a certifying agency or organization. But have you gone to the CDC's healthy community website?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    I've never heard of a certifying agency or organization. But have you gone to the CDC's healthy community website?
    No, I don't think I have ever heard of an "official certifying agency" either - although I had to I start thinking about this when someone posed the question in another on-line forum - and I couldn't come up with much.

CDCs Healthy Communities is probably the closest thing in the US (I'm guessing?)
    And, I know that the World Health Organization has a Healthy Cities Network
    National League of Cities has a page on their site titled "Community Wellness" that describes how they worked with local school districts

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by MCasey View post
    No, I don't think I have ever heard of an "official certifying agency" either -

CDCs Healthy Communities is probably the closest thing in the US (I'm guessing?)
    Surely here in the states that would be commanizt or soshulizt or whatever name they are calling it this news cycle, and next week it will be defunded anyway to pay for a tax break. But seriously, the CDC and EPA are far from being able to do such a thing. They are just the first baby steps along toward having such a thing.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2010

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Howl View post
    Thank you - both sites have very nice examples of their criteria/definition of a healthy community - I like that they describe "process" as an important part of the community's health. Apprreciate the links!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 6:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 9:38 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 11:39 AM
  4. Replies: 65
    Last post: 21 Aug 2003, 10:08 PM