Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is a UK degree worth it in NA?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Is a UK degree worth it in NA?

I'm considering going to the UK to get my masters in planning. So far, I got positive answers from top RTIP-accredited programs around the country. It only takes a year and I'm open to working in the UK or Europe after I graduate.

But I would also like know what are the prospects if I come back. I'm sure UCL and a number of other schools would ring a bell with employers, but what about getting accreditation in the US, would that be limited? Are there any other disadvantages with getting a degree overseas?

Short of calling the APA or AICP to find out, do you guys have any experience or info on this?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    I'm currently studying at LSE in urban planning so could possibly help, however I'm not APA Certified, so not sure I can give the best advice either.

Basically I was on a similiar decision making process, but researched that you can take the exam after four years of experience working under a certified planner. While I've taken a route into more consultancy work, I believe this is the case.

Although I would recommend researching it more as things typically change.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I think it may be even easier than that. First, unlike the PE or Architecture exams yu don't have to be apprentice to qualify. AICP only requires that you have planning experience. Second, if you have a unaccredited planning degree you only need three years of planning experience instead of four. The only question is if AICP would accept your foreign degree in planning as a unaccredited degree.

Quote Originally posted by archdav View post
    Basically I was on a similiar decision making process, but researched that you can take the exam after four years of experience working under a certified planner.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Is second masters degree worth it?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 07 Sep 2010, 10:41 PM
  2. How much is a MURP/JD degree worth it?
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 31 Aug 2010, 7:20 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 2:17 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 May 2009, 5:29 PM
  5. Worth getting a dual-degree?
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 12:07 PM