Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GIS Programs Canada

Registered
    Jul 2013

GIS Programs Canada

I looked for GIS forums to post this question but didnt find any luck, so i m just posting it here hopefully someone has some input.

Im finishing my last year at Wilfrid Laurier majoring in Political Science and minoring in Geography.

Im really considering a Gis program just need input

Currently looking at
    -Ryersons Certificate in Applied Digital Geography and GIS
    -Fanshawes A Two-Year Ontario College Diploma Program in GIS and Urban Planning with co-op
    -BCIT's Bachelor of Technology in GIS which also offers co-op

If anyone has any suggestions, or what to do first it would be greatly appreciated!

Registered
    Mar 2013
    Do you already have previous experience with GIS? What is your goal, are you planning to become a GIS Technician or do you just want to use GIS as a "skill" for planning based jobs?

I have had a few friends complete the BCIT program. It is VERY intense in terms of course work and content. However, you will have a lot of hands on experience by the time you finish. A couple of my friends were hired by ESRI and a few that got hired in mining firms.

Registered
    Jul 2013
    want to do more work relating to planning

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Gill92 View post
    want to do more work relating to planning
    The Fanshawe programs sounds the best in that case. The other option I believe would be Mohawk College in Hamilton. In a planning tech program, you'll most likely learn AutoCAD which a lot of jobs are demanding. In a more straightforward GIS program (like Ryerson) you most likely won't be taught by any planning professionals. Although many planners do know GIS, it isn't an absolute requirement for many jobs as all big municipalities have separate GIS departments to handle all mapping stuff. My only experience is a master's in planning, so my opinion isn't completely accurate for GIS/college programs but I'm basing this off of what I see in job postings across Canada.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Jul 2013, 1:06 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Mar 2011, 5:38 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Oct 2009, 5:31 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last post: 04 Apr 2005, 1:29 PM
  5. Programs in Canada?
    Student Commons