Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How to find transportation internship if recent graduate (not in school anymore)

Registered
    Dec 2008

How to find transportation internship if recent graduate (not in school anymore)

Does anyone know about any transportation planning agencies that are offering internships or volunteer opportunities to recent graduates? In Los Angeles, METRO, for instance, only offers internships to current students. In today's job market, experience is key. I would like to have more experience in transportation planning, but obviously can't go back to school because of low funds. What agencies offer internships/volunteering opportunities to individuals with masters in urban planning but not enrolled in an academic program. For the record, I'm interested in both paid and non-paid, full or part time volunteering opportunities.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by angelinocat View post
    Does anyone know about any transportation planning agencies that are offering internships or volunteer opportunities to recent graduates? In Los Angeles, METRO, for instance, only offers internships to current students. In today's job market, experience is key. I would like to have more experience in transportation planning, but obviously can't go back to school because of low funds. What agencies offer internships/volunteering opportunities to individuals with masters in urban planning but not enrolled in an academic program. For the record, I'm interested in both paid and non-paid, full or part time volunteering opportunities.
    Have you checked with CalTrans or the local MPO?

I know both Orange County and Laguna Beach have transit agencies. Don't ask me how I know this because it would blow my cover and ruin my rep on One Mile in the D!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2010
    I would also look at temporary positions with some of the bigger trans planning firms. They sometimes hire people to help with driver/rider surveys.

Registered
    Dec 2008

thanks!

Thank you for the advice. I will try out some of these options.

Registered
    May 2011
    Did you want to take up an internship because there are no entry level Jobs out there in transportation?

I am about start my masters in urban planning this fall, with a focus on transportation. With the job scene looking so bleak. ...having second thoughts about it now.
    Would appreciate any input.
    Who are the potential employers?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by angelinocat View post
    What internship experience do you already have? If you don't, why did you wait until AFTER you graduated?
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 98
    Last post: 24 Dec 2013, 11:43 PM
  2. How to find an Internship
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Dec 2012, 10:42 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Feb 2011, 9:45 AM
  4. Recent grad can't find job, what to do next?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 50
    Last post: 01 Jul 2010, 10:23 AM
  5. Advice for a recent graduate
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jun 2009, 9:04 PM