Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: International internship or planner job?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009

International internship or planner job?

So I'm at a crossroads in my career. I've worked as a Planner/GIS Coordinator for a very small/rural municipality for almost two years and currently work as a Planning Assistant for a Provincial tribunal that deals with development application appeals. I will be starting a new position as a Planner for a nearby suburb with a population of around 125,000. I will mainly be responsible for site plan/subdivision files.

However, today I had an interview for a 6 month internship with the Canadian Institute of Planners working in a developing country. The start date wouldn't be until September. I'm 25 years old and have been working nonstop ever since I graduated. I would use the internship as a launching pad to travel the world for 6 months once the internship is finished. I would obviously have to quit the job that I would be starting only after a few months and look for a job once I return. However, I feel as though I need a once in a lifetime experience to do some soul searching before I get too established in my career and I want to travel while I'm still young. I'm also single and have no family obligations. But if I stick with the Planner job I will be able to get my Registered Professional Planner designation in just over a year from now. Hopefully that will lead to more career opportunities and make me more qualified to find work abroad?

My ultimate goal is to work as a planner outside of Canada. I just don't know which option will be the smartest way to get me there. To put things into perspective, we are only young once. I want to make choices that will make me happy regardless of whether I'll be jeopardizing future career prospects and not regret the choices I make. I'd appreciate some insight/advice. Thanks!

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by jammers View post

However, today I had an interview for a 6 month internship with the Canadian Institute of Planners working in a developing country. The start date wouldn't be until September. I'm 25 years old and have been working nonstop ever since I graduated. I would use the internship as a launching pad to travel the world for 6 months once the internship is finished. I would obviously have to quit the job that I would be starting only after a few months and look for a job once I return. However, I feel as though I need a once in a lifetime experience to do some soul searching before I get too established in my career and I want to travel while I'm still young. I'm also single and have no family obligations.
    I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever regret the years I lived in Europe. Ever. Nor the sacrifices I made to travel at every opportunity. At the drop of a hat. Ever.

Ever. Nor do any of my friends and acquaintances in the Peace Corps regret their time abroad. Nor my friends in private practice working overseas. Nor...

Ever. You get the idea. Dooood. You're single. You know what to do. You don't need to ask. You're a Canuck. Traveling. With a career. Why are you asking? Why aren't you packing?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My ultimate goal is to work as a planner outside of Canada. I just don't know which option will be the smartest way to get me there. To put things into perspective, we are only young once. I want to make choices that will make me happy regardless of whether I'll be jeopardizing future career prospects and not regret the choices I make. I'd appreciate some insight/advice. Thanks!
    It seems like you are at a crossroads, but are chugging along on one of the roads. Your experiences make you who you are. Don't worry about the future prospects, do what makes you happy now, and find a way to relate that to future jobs. Sounds like fun. Good luck!!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    To put things into perspective, we are only young once. I want to make choices that will make me happy regardless of whether I'll be jeopardizing future career prospects and not regret the choices I make.
    Seems like you already know what decision you want to make... and they say we regret the things we didn't do more than the things we did do.

Personally, I loved my experiences and travels abroad... although it feels like I am many years behind my friends (income, babies, 401K ). Then I remember that life isn't a race, it's a journey.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Regarding International Internship Programmes
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Feb 2012, 3:14 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Feb 2012, 3:57 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 04 Nov 2010, 6:10 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Jun 2010, 1:07 AM