Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A place for everything and everything in its place

Registered
    Feb 2004

A place for everything and everything in its place

A......discussion took place at the Maister household last night following an incident where I could not find my car keys. It seems Mrs. Maister cleared off the kitchen table and put my car keys into a location I'm unaccustomed to, and I spent a frantic 15 minutes trying to find them until she managed to locate where she'd put them.

I am admittedly a creature of habit, but there are two items in particular that I very seldom deviate from my routine when it comes to putting them down: my keys and my wallet (if I used a cell phone more than three or four times a year I'd probably put it in this special category too). I carry them around with me wherever I go for the most part, but when I set them down at home, they get placed almost without fail in one of two locations: a particular spot on the kitchen table or on the key ring. If I'm staying at a motel they get put inside the drawer.

Mrs. Maister, on the other hand, tends to set things down wherever she finds convenient at a given moment. It's frustrating for me because I can't count the number of times we've been delayed departing somewhere in order to look for her keys, cell phones, sunglasses, etc. Getting a cordless (landline) phone was another big mistake that I never should have agreed to, as we never know where the reciever is going to be when the phone starts ringing. We'd be completely lost if we didn't have caller id, because 90% of the time we end up having to call people back as we're not able to locate the phone in four rings. But I suppose I could just be too much of a tight-*ss, expecting to be able to actually answer the phone when it rings. I suppose it could be worse and my wife could take after my FIL, who loses his keys or locks himself out of the office perhaps three times a month (found the keys in the fridge last week - I'd be tempted to say Alzheimers candidate but he's been like this as long as I've known him).

How about you, how often do you misplace your keys, wallet, or phone? Do you habitually place items important to you in the same locations as a rule? Or are you a free spirit who finds the daily search for these sorts of things a rewarding part of life, providing much needed variety?

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I only "misplace" my keys when I don't put them where they belong (ie,hung on the back of a wooden chair in the sunroom near the back entrance). My phone and wallet are always in my purse, which is always under the same chair in the sunroom or locked in the car.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Sounds like you married a bit of a scatterbrain, and it sounds like it runs in the family . I have always been to the point of OCD where I need everything to be in its right place. If not, I just start to let everything go and the place turns to a total mess in less than a day. It is pretty hard to annoy me, but when people move my things around it drives me absolutely crazy. My reaction is usually less than reasonable.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm amazed I've never lost my keys or wallet since I'm pretty disorganized. Most things get set down where its convenient at the time and I'm able to find most things easily enough that I'm not really motivated to change my lack of a system. I have 1700+ items listed on Ebay (books and ephemera) and very little systematical organization of merchandise. Most of the time I'm able to find stuff pretty quickly when it sells.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    A case of OCD ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    Sounds like you married a bit of a scatterbrain, and it sounds like it runs in the family . I have always been to the point of OCD where I need everything to be in its right place. If not, I just start to let everything go and the place turns to a total mess in less than a day. It is pretty hard to annoy me, but when people move my things around it drives me absolutely crazy. My reaction is usually less than reasonable.
    Thing is, I'm not what I would consider a particularly organized person in most regards. I have stacks of papers on my desk (yes, I can find something in short order upon request - I know where everything is, but a stranger would probably find no rhyme or reason). The one area I am very regimented with is this matter of placing things in regular locations that are needed on a daily basis, like keys, wallets, and phones.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The cordless receiver in our house is a nightmare as well. When Mrs. P is done talking, she sets it down, no matter where. I too find it endleesly frustrating when the phone rings and we get to play Hunt The Phone.

Let's see we have found it outside on the deck, in the bathroom, in the closet, in the garage, on top of the dog kennel, upstairs (next to the phone there), in a dresser drawer - well you get the point. I think we've almost worn out the locater button.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I'm horribly disorganized. I've overcome it with the wallet (actually I use a moneyclip) keys, phone thing only with extraordinary measures. I leave them in my pockets. Pants over the chair, everything is still in the pockets. Get up in the morning, new pair of pants everything out of the old and straight back into the pockets of the new. I can NEVER deviate, or the keys/wallet/phone is immediately and hopelessly lost.

I also vote for extreme hate of cordless phones. Nobody ever knows where the handset is, and it's always in danger of charging out. Then it's really lost.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Everything has a place - at home and at the office - and I am on a mission to keep them there. I love order, organization, tidiness. Even my food pantry is organized. Whole grains go here, dried beans go there, granola bars, nuts, and other snack foods go here. MW is a tidy person so usually there are no frustrating moments of looking for things. The only issue that arises in our is that I'm nuts about "surface abuse". I really dislike when things stack up on tables and counters or other random places. I tend to toss things into the rubbish after they have sat around on my counter space for too long and once I accidentally threw away the title to our car or some such important document because it was mixed in with junk mail that had been sitting on our table for too long oops a grouchy.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I had to laugh when I saw the title to this thread. "Everything in its place" was one of my grandmother's favorite expressions. She was even more organized than I am, if that's possible.

Like Maister, I have stacks of paper on my desk, but I I know where everything is - and every so often, I am compelled to have a purge-fest and organize it all, dividing papers for filing, recycling, or shredding. It just makes me feel better.

I'm pretty consistent with my routine. I always know where to find my glasses, wallet, checkbook, keys, etc. Once or twice a year I'll "lose" my keys, which is another way of saying that I left them in my coat pocket and panicked for 30 seconds.

My older sister is the scatterbrain in my family. For years I had a copy of her house keys because she kept losing hers... usually somewhere in the house.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    "Please, St. Anthony, help me find my keys, please St. Anthony . . ." is my mantra. Not so much my keys, but my wallet and checkbook, my wedding ring, my watch. You get the idea.

Since I am the driver of the family, it is important for me to have my keys at ready. I am doing better with that, since I have a dish to put them in on my dresser. And mostly I have become good about putting them there when I get home. That set has my offfice keys, store swipe cards and keys to all the locks in the house. But just in case I have three other sets of keys that have the minimum keys needed - car keys and house key.

I have come to view my tendency to misplace items not as a liability but as an asset. At least once a week I must use my deductive skills to backtrack my movements to locate an item I need.

I am not disorganized! I AM STAVING OFF ALZHEIMER'S!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm very organized when it comes to my watch, wallet, glasses, keys. Other than that, I do filing by piling. When I reorganize, file, purge, etc., it's a clear sign that I'm very stressed, usually by an overwhelmingly complex issue that I'll also need to break down into a series of simple tasks.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Women? in the kitchen?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Keys are the most common thing that I misplace, probably because they don't have a home but I am getting ready to rectify that.

RT is the organizational freak, everything must be organized and categorizes. I am the clean freak but don't mind a little clutter. RT jokes with me that I better keep my closet organized her way when she goes off to school in the fall . Since we have minimal belongings in our one bedroom apartment we share it's usually under control and only the sofa table suffers from being disorganized.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Best Place.
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Mar 2008, 5:52 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Dec 2005, 1:21 PM
  3. Am I in the right place?
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 21 Feb 2005, 3:41 PM