Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Deprogramming ursus, Donnie, and Marie

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Deprogramming ursus, Donnie, and Marie

Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    OK, so today wafting through the office is Kenny Rogers and Sheena Easton singing "We've Got Tonight"...I can't help myself. I'm going to have to go hug the perpetrator again. The only problem is, it's probably the Assistant City Recorder again, and I'll have a hard time explaining it.

I may have to muster some tears or something, although I don't think it will be a problem while I'm listening...."I know your plans....don't include me...." Oh yeah. She's getting a hug.

I love a good Soft Rock start to the morning....
    Dude, you need intervention or a good deprograming. Maister, it's time we go to Utah. I'll dig out my old punk and grunge alblums
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Dude, you need intervention or a good deprograming. Maister, it's time we go to Utah. I'll dig out my old punk and grunge alblums
    I'm sure there's plenty of appropriate music for the task already in Utah. Haven't you seen SLC Punk?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO6

There are strong countercultural antidotes available for treating those who suffer from Life in Utah. Treatment traditionally involves exposing subjects to several hours per day of movies like 'Taxi Driver', 'Drug Store Cowboy', or 'A Boy and his Dog'. And several hours listening to bands such as: Black Flag, Iggy Pop, and Jefferson Airplane. Books, such as 'On the Road' or 'The Anarchist's Cookbook' are also frequently prescribed. Others, I'm sure, will tell about the treatment programs they have locally.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO6

There are strong countercultural antidotes available for treating those who suffer from Life in Utah. Treatment traditionally involves exposing subjects to several hours per day of movies like 'Taxi Driver', 'Drug Store Cowboy', or 'A Boy and his Dog'. And several hours listening to bands such as: Black Flag, Iggy Pop, and Jefferson Airplane. Books, such as 'On the Road' or 'The Anarchist's Cookbook' are also frequently prescribed. Others, I'm sure, will tell about the treatment programs they have locally.
    Taxi Driver? Jefferson Airplane? Jack Kerouac? It's a lot of intellectual work, this de-programing. Will there be breaks when I can watch "Rick Steve's Europe" and maybe listen to Barry Manilow, or maybe Lionel Richie? "Got a feelin' down deep in my soul that I just can't lose....yes I'm on...my way..."
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Taxi Driver? Jefferson Airplane? Jack Kerouac? It's a lot of intellectual work, this de-programing. Will there be breaks when I can watch "Rick Steve's Europe" and maybe listen to Barry Manilow, or maybe Lionel Richie? "Got a feelin' down deep in my soul that I just can't lose....yes I'm on...my way..."
    Get that contemporary propoganda out of this thread!!! Bad Ursus! BAD!
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    May 2005
    Ursus - Self improvement is masturbation. Now self destruction...
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Need to add some Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails to the mix...
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Drugstore Cowboy is good. Anything by Green Day, the Replacements, The Clash-Combat Rock. The Foo Fighters-The Pretender, Let It Die. The Breeders. Something more current-Likin Park. The Dead Kennedys, Nirvana, Didn't we have a poster for awhile that was into Death Metal? Will think of more later and post.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    "I made it through the rain, and found myself accepted, by the others who ----- got rained on too...." Did Linkin Park cover that? I'm unsure. Oooh! OOOh! Melissa Manchester. "Baby cried so hard the day they took the big top down...." Oh, I'm in a mood now, baby. You go ahead and cry, Baby. Cry.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Need to add some Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails to the mix...
    Now we're talking.

Pretty Hate Machine. One of my favorite albums of all-time.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Deprogrammers are clinical professionals. They know that cold turkey treatments can sometimes result in serious DT's or other withdrawl side effects, so to that end you might get a single Carpenters tune, or maybe watch a few minutes of a Frank Capra movie if the shakes get too bad, but I wouldnt expect any field trips to a Whole Foods store. If you get to watch half of an Andy Griffith show rerun, know that it will be followed with several hours of listening to the Sex Pistols, NWA, or reading an entire chapter from Catch 22 afterwards.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Lets see from my wasted youth-read "Still Life with Woodpecker" along with all the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, plug in some Rage Against the Machine. These will help you on your journey. Remember we are only doing this for your own good.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    How about a trip to Tommy's Holiday Camp ?
    OR
    The Ludovico Technique

Are you old enough to know The Who or A Clockwork Orange
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    How about a trip to Tommy's Holiday Camp ?
    OR
    The Ludovico Technique

Are you old enough to know The Who or A Clockwork Orange
    Both, actually. Although, I don't know if I know A Clockwork Orange because I'm old enough or just because my dad had the book (along with Chrome Yellow, Brave New World, In Cold Blood and a bunch of other books that both enlightened and scared the hell out of me.....)

I'm on my journey. But I can't promise that if next week she plays that music again I won't be tempted......

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'm on my journey. But I can't promise that if next week she plays that music again I won't be tempted......
    You must be strong Ursus, you must be strong. Just remember that Youtube is your friend. If you feel the desire to play the Carpenters, Barry Manilow, etc, just youtube one the bands mentioned above. The desire will pass and you will grow stronger for the next time it happens. We are here for you, just remember that. Plus, we don't want to have to send out a team.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    You must be strong Ursus, you must be strong. Just remember that Youtube is your friend. If you feel the desire to play the Carpenters, Barry Manilow, etc, just youtube one the bands mentioned above. The desire will pass and you will grow stronger for the next time it happens. We are here for you, just remember that. Plus, we don't want to have to send out a team.
    There is a lot of wisdom there. When you're ready to give up your addiction to exercise, watch Richard Simmons.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    You must be strong Ursus, you must be strong.
    I will be strong. I have restrained myself in my chair with Rage Against the Machine on loop. These ropes are starting to chafe, though. One of the janitors will let me out probably, huh? Or kill me while I'm helpless and make it look like a break-in. Haha! Wait, that's entirely possible. Whose idea was this?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    There is a lot of wisdom there. When you're ready to give up your addiction to exercise, watch Richard Simmons.
    Thanks for the little bit of mental pollution

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Inquisition: Ursus
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 87
    Last post: 10 Jun 2013, 8:06 AM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 21 Jun 2012, 4:12 PM
  3. Where is ursus?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 06 Mar 2012, 11:50 AM