Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AICP specialty certification

AICP specialty certification

I did some searching around and didn't find a recent thread on the topic and since the testing window is not open I was curious as to how many have taken or plan to take either the AICP CEP or AICP CTP exam this month. I took the CEP yesterday and have to say the test wasn't too bad. Some very good and relevant questions combined with a few I felt were either too subjective or completely irrelevant. Has anyone else taken it recently?
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmm

I don't see the benefit yet. Before I spend the money on CEP, I'd take a couple of specialized workshops and focus on getting experience. Why take it if you already work in the field and have a lot of experience? What's next AICP CEP w/AWT (Advanced Wetlands Training) or NEPA sub certs? How about sub sub certs for knowing when to NOT wear a tie or how to mask personal environmental opinions during public speaking events??
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Well, my collegues would certainly agree that I could use some additional training on when to and/or not wear a tie and when to keep my personal opinions to myself. To be honest, AICP wasn't really a big deal to me until I went into the private sector then it became much more important and relevant. Our company puts a premium on professional development and credentials because that is (at least in part) what helps us win work and demonstrate credibility to our clients. I have been doing environmental work for about the last ten years so I figure this just adds an extra bit of credibility to it.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by jestes View post
    I have been doing environmental work for about the last ten years so I figure this just adds an extra bit of credibility to it.
    Your probably better off being AEP versus the new APA junk they are hawking, but i am sure you know this already.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I took and passed the CTP exam last year. I passed and am happy. The majority that sat for the test failed so they may not ge so happy.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Aug 2013, 3:54 PM
  2. AICP relevancy depends on specialty?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 13 Nov 2012, 4:06 PM
  3. AICP advanced specialty certification
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 05 Apr 2010, 8:24 AM